Chapter 1

It was a normal day at the Phantomhive manor. The head of the house, Ciel Phantomhive, and his butler, Sebastian Michaelis, had gone to town, leaving the servants, Mey-Rin, Finny, Bard, and Tanaka, alone. It was a rainy day, and the servants were in the kitchen taking a nice break and enjoying some warm drinks.

Suddenly, they all heard a loud knock at the front door that made them all jump.

"Who'd be at the door in this wether?" Bard asked.

"I'll get it," Finny happily said getting up and heading for the entrance hall. He opened the door with a bright smile. "Hello!"

Finny was confused when he saw no one there. "Hello?" he said again. "That's weird. I could've sworn we heard-" Finny was cut off when he heard weak whimpering. He looked down, and his eyes widened when he saw a whimpering baby completely soaked and covered with nothing but a raged and dirty blanket.

"Finny!" Mey-Rin said as she came towards the door. "Who is it?" Finny remained silent and frozen. "Finny?"

Mey-Rin followed Finny's gaze and looked down. "Oh my goodness!" she exclaimed kneeling down and picking up the baby. "You poor thing!" The baby's crying started to increase.

"Come on, Finny!" Mey-Rin exclaimed dragging Finny back to the kitchen. "We got to help this little one!"

Mey-Rin and Finny rushed into the kitchen startling Bard and Tanaka. "Hey, what's with the big rush?!" Bard said in surprise.

"No time to explain!" Mey-Rin said. "We need hot water, a large bowl, and a pitcher!"

"What?" Bard said only getting more confused when he noticed the crying baby in Mey-Rin's arms.

"I'll get-" Finny started but stopped when he saw the bowl, pitcher, and water were already on the counter.

"Ho ho ho," Tanaka said with a silly smile.

"Thanks, Tanaka," Mey-Rin said as she poured some of the hot water into the bowl. She unwrapped the tattered blanket from around the baby and placed it in the bowl.

"Alright," Mey-Rin said as she grabbed some soap. "It's okay now." The baby was quiet as Mey-Rin cleaned it. Finny and Bard watched intently.

"Oh, dear," Mey-Rin said when she saw the baby's back. "Who would do this?!"

"What's wrong?" Bard asked as he, Finny, and Tanaka came forward.

"Someone branded her," Mey-Rin said in disbelief. They all gasped when they saw a burn in her back in the shape of two serpents twisted around one another.

"How awful," Finny said with a few small tears in his eyes. He placed his hand gently over the brand mark then rubbed the back of his neck were that horrible code was printed on his neck.

"W-well, I think she's clean now," Mey-Rin said trying to change the subject. "We should get her out and dry her off before she gets cold." Mey-Rin took the baby out of the bowl and started to dry her off with a towel.

"Wait a minute," Bard suddenly said.

"Huh?" Finny and Mey-Rin questioned.

"What's the lass supposed to wear?" Bard asked. "It's not like we have diapers or baby clothes lying around here."

"Oh! I didn't think about that!" Mey-Rin said in slight alarm. "She'll catch a cold if she isn't clothed."

"Allow me," Tanaka said appearing in his normal form and holding two pieces of cloth.

Mey-Rin, Bard, and Finny watched as Tanaka laid the baby down and folded the cloth this way and that.

"There we go," Tanaka said turning around to show a diapered and swaddled baby.

"Tanaka, that's amazing!" Finny said as Mey-Rin took the baby from Tanaka's hands.

"Where did you learn to do that?" Bard asked.

"Who do you think took care of the young master when his parents couldn't?" Tanaka said with a small chuckle.

They all looked at the baby as she yawned and started to drift off to sleep.

"I have to admit, she is rather cute," Bard said with a soft smile.

"I wonder why anyone would just leave her on the doorstep," Finny said.

They were all broken from their thoughts at the sound of horses neighing and wood creaking.

"It's the carriage!" Mey-Rin exclaimed in panic. "The young master and Sebastian are back!"