Chapter 11

Ciel, Sebastian, the servants, and the villagers all were gathered around a man who had been gruesomely murdered. He was covered in blood and bites. Angelina whimpered in fear. Ciel held her close and kept her from looking at the horrid sight.

Ciel sent a look Sebastian's way. Sebastian understood what Ciel was asking and walked over to the body. He looked closely at the man's wounds.

"How awful," Bard said still gripping his pillow in his arms.

Sebastian sent a look back to Ciel. "So that's it then," Ciel said with a frown.

"Stand back!" a voice boomed. "Don't touch!" Everyone turned to see Lord Barrymore. Angelina started to cry again at the sight of the man. Ciel consoled her while keeping a sharp glare on the man.

"I see it was James then," Lord Barrymore said looking at the body. "He was the bad dog."

"Yes," a villager said. "He broke the legal restriction on dog ownership. He had six dogs; one more than is allowed."

"A sixth dog," Lord Barrymore said. "Then this was inevitable."

"That's all you can say?!" Bard exclaimed. "Really?!"

"This village is under my rule and no other," Lord Barrymore said. "The demon hound protects that rule. As guardian of the Barrymore family, it punishes anyone and everyone who dares to challenge me!"

The villagers started to chant about good dogs and bad dogs as they lifted the now dead James onto a stretcher and walked away.

"I was sure one of you outsiders would be its prey," Lord Barrymore said. "You got lucky this time. Head my words and leave lest you want to lose something very dear to you." Lord Barrymore looked at the whimpering Angelina, who was clinging to Ciel. All the servants stepped closer to Ciel and Angelina with slight glares.

Without another word, Lord Barrymore and Angela walked away following the crowd of villagers.

"Well, master?" Sebastian questioned. Ciel remained silent as he looked down at Angelina and gently petted her head.

They all headed back for the Barrymore manor without another word. The servants bid goodnight and made sure Angelina was alright before going back to their rooms.

Shortly after arriving back in Ciel's room, Sebastian changed Ciel and Angelina into their nightwear and bid them goodnight before leaving. Ciel gently rocked Angelina for a moment before laying her down in her crib. She instantly started crying. Ciel quickly picked her up. She clung to him, shaking in fear.

"It's alright, Angelina," Ciel said holding her against his chest and rubbing her back. "They won't be able to hurt us."

Angelina still wouldn't let go of Ciel, no matter what he tried. He sighed and decided he would just let her sleep with him. He laid down and blew out the candle near his bed. Angelina was snuggled up against him before peacefully falling asleep. Ciel looked down at her for a moment before gently stroking his fingers down her face.

"I won't let them hurt you," Ciel said before closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep.