Chapter 5

Ciel looked down at the baby girl in his arms as the carriage took off. She was smiling and playing with Ciel's free hand. She giggled a little and hugged his hand close.

She looked so innocent, so unaware of the cruelties of the world. She didn't even seem to understand the torture she had been put through. She didn't understand she would likely never see her real parents again.

A light went off in Ciel's mind as thoughts suddenly occurred to him. What would happen to her at the orphanage? Would she be treated kindly or be abused? Would she ever get adopted or live her whole life in such a dreary place? What about the cult? She could only be a couple weeks old, meaning that mark on her back could only be so old. Would she be safe at the orphanage? Would they come looking for her? Would she be forced into that terrible fate again? Even if she did escape, what if she turned out like...him?

Ciel felt himself stiffen at the last thought. His experiences in life may not have completely wiped him of his kindness, but he definitely changed. He became cold and distant, even to those he held dear. There were plenty days when it would feel impossible to summon up a small smile, even a fake one. What if she became the same? What if she was never adopted or if she was bullied, harassed, or abused? Would she become bitter with hurt and betrayal?

Ciel was snapped out of his thoughts when he suddenly felt something warm on his face. He saw the baby was placing her small hands on his cheeks and wiping away something. Tears. He hadn't even noticed that he had let tears fall from his eyes. He never cried, not in front of anyone. The baby looked at him with concern in her eyes before placing her hand tenderly on his cheek under his eyepatch.

Ciel just couldn't imagine such innocence being ruined, such purity being tainted. When he got out, he at least had Sebastian, this girl would have nothing. She'd have no support and potentially no hope of ever recovering.

But...Ciel thought for a moment. What if she did have someone? Someone who would understand and could relate. They'd been through similar fates, Ciel realized that now. If she would ever recover from this premature trauma, he'd have to help her.

Ciel tightened his hold on the child before sticking his head out the window. "Sebastian, stop the carriage," Ciel said.

"Is something wrong?" Sebastian asked as he made the horses come to a stop.

"Change in plans," Ciel said. "We're heading into town."

"My lord?" Sebastian asked with a raised brow.

"We're keeping the child," Ciel said looking down at the baby that was snuggling him.