Chapter 12

Ciel was sleeping rather soundly until he heard faint cry. It took him a moment to figure out, but he realized it was Angelina. He suddenly bolted up. He looked around the dark room to see it was still night. He heard the whimpering again and looked to his right to see Angelina whimpering and reaching out. He reacted on instinct and picked her up. She quieted slightly but didn't stop with her sad noises.

Ciel knew it was about time for her midnight feeding. Luckily, Sebastian seemed to know as well as he showed up a moment later with a bottle. Ciel took it and offered it to the child, who started drinking instantly.

"I must say I'm surprised," Sebastian commented looking at Angelina.

"What now?" Ciel said looking at Sebastian annoyed. "You better not be giving me anymore of that 'mommy' crap."

"No, master," Sebastian said with his signature smirk. " I was just under the impression that babies made big fits in the middle of the night with loud wails. Yet, this one barely whimpers, making it near impossible for even you to hear her."

"What exactly are you implicating?" Ciel asked turning more stern and tightening his grip on Angelina.

"Just that she acts rather different from the average baby," Sebastian said. "It's almost alarming. You'd think she was scared to cry out."

Ciel scowled more at Sebastian's words. They like had truth to them. The awful place Angelina was likely born in and kept in until recently. No telling what those awful people might have done to her just for crying. She had no other way of communicating at the moment, yet she was too scared to even use it.

Angelina finished her bottle and quieted once more. She snuggled more into Ciel as Sebastian took the empty bottle. "You both might want to get some more rest," he said. "Holidays can be exhausting, after all."

Ciel knew hat Sebastian meant but ignored it. He laid back down with Angelina, making sure she was secure before drifting off to sleep once more.

Morning eventually came, and Sebastian went to wake Ciel like always. Once again Ciel was already up, putting a clean diaper on Angelina. Sebastian thought nothing of it, figuring it would just become part of the routine for a while. He got Ciel ready fro the day before Ciel did the same for Angelina.

Apparently, Sebastian had convinced the servants to enjoy some time at the pond with swimming and a picnic. Ciel didn't want any part of it and didn't trust any of them with Angelina in the water. Instead he sat on a chair Sebastian had set for him with Angelina on his lap. She was playing with a small plush dog Ciel had given her while watching the servants goof off in the pond.

"Don't you care to bathe with them, young master?" Sebastian asked. Ciel remained silent as he paid attention to Angelina. "Oh, I see. Is that the problem? The master can't-"

"I don't see why they're making such a big fuss about this pond," Ciel said cutting Sebastian off. "Just because you can bathe, doesn't make it a resort."

"You still intend to make this place into a resort, then?" Sebastian asked.

"Naturally," Ciel stated simply as he placed his hand on Angelina's head, making her giggle.

"But what about this great demon hound?" Sebastian asked.

"Surely you know as well as I by now," Ciel said grabbing the demon's attention. "This demon hound is no dog. Shall we discuss it further?"

Sebastian leaned down to allow Ciel to whisper in his hear. Angelina looked at the two in confusion. "Now go," Ciel finished.

"Yes. Very well, master," Sebastian said straightening up. "You may consider it done."