Chapter 2.1: New Day, New Region

"I thought you knew where we were going." A voice stated as three figures walked through the forest.

"I'm trying! It's foggy and hard to see this stupid map." Another voice defended themselves. "Well try harder, I'm getting hungry!" The third voice whined.

"You're always hungry, Emmy." The second voice chided as the fogginess cleared to show Sky, the first voice, Zia, the second, and Emmy, the final voice. "Well, I wouldn't be if we ever had food to eat!" Emmy argued as the other two groan. "We never have any because you eat it all!" They shouted together.

"Whatever..." Emmy pouted, mumbling to herself. She then tripped over an exposed tree root, sending her tumbling down a hill. "Emmy!" Sky and Zia yelled worriedly as they ran down after her.

The shiny Serperior stopped at the bottom in a coil as she groaned in pain. "Are you alright?" The Luxray asked. "Yeah, but I think I found what we're looking for." She answered, pointing her tail in front of them.

A little ways away was the city of New Bark Town. The site of Professor Elm, who Zia was sent to meet. The three gazed down at the city where many trainers here in the Johto Region begin their journey.

Arriving at the Pokémon Center, the three walked in and up to the front desk. "Nurse Joy?" Zia called, looking around for said woman. "Ah! You're not Nurse Joy, Chancey." She helped in shock as the famous Pokémon nurse assistant appeared in front of her behind the desk.

"Chancey!" I cried happily as it pressed a button, a tv coming down from the ceiling. "Hello, I'm Nurse Joy. I'm over at the Elm Laboratory right now, and I'm sorry I'm not here to help you, but I'll be back at the Pokémon Center no later than 2 o'clock this afternoon." Tv Nurse Joy informed before it turned off.

"Did she say 2? Because it's past 2. Unless 3 is the new 2, but I don't think-" "Emmy, shh! We get it, it's already past 2." Zia shushed the rambling grass-type. "Should we wait?" Sky questioned.

Zia scratched her cheek in thought. "Nurse Joy is usually very punctual. I feel like if she said she'd be back at 2, she would've been unless something came up. Maybe we should just go check. We have to see Professor Elm anyways." The girl decided as they made their way to the lab.

However, when they got there, it was like they were in the middle of a crime scene. Frowning, the three made their way over to Jenny, bypassing a nearby officer who tried to stop them. "Officer Jenny." Zia called as the mentioned looked over at her. The older woman's eyes widened as she held up her hand, calling off the tailing officer as they went back to work.

"Champion, what an honor to have you here. I'm sorry you saw the lab like this, but a crime's just taken place." Jenny explained the commotion. "What kind of crime?" Zia questioned, going into investigation mode.

"If you're so curious, you can go on in and ask the Professor himself." Jenny allowed as she stepped to the side, her trusted Growlithe following suit. Zia nodded in thanks as she and her two Pokémon walked inside.

What greeted them was the missing Nurse Joy scolding a young man in a lab coat. He had glasses and short brown hair. Zia could take an easy guess and say that was Professor Elm.

"Excuse me, I'd like to understand what's happening here." Zia said, catching the two's attention. "Oh, you must be the Champion! Well, I'm afraid someone has stolen a Pokémon." Joy answered as the younger's eyes narrowed in anger. Why steal a beginning starter Pokémon? Just to make it easier to raise it to do your bidding? It's despicable.

"Yes, that poor girl. That poor Totodile." Jenny mumbled, having walked in behind Zia once she got someone to watch everything outside. "You see, I was supposed to give this Totodile and this Cyndaquil to two new Pokémon trainers tomorrow." Elm jumped in.