Chapter 2.31: Cursed Cuteness

"I'm getting a bad vibe from this place." Sky said for once, instead of Emmy. They were in a relatively dark forest on their way to Olivine City.

"I did see that some pretty scary Pokémon live here in the guidebook." Zia admitted. "I don't know about scary." Emmy grumbled as they saw her staring down a Spinarak that had lowered itself down by its web. The Spinarak slowly went back up.

"I doubt they meant Spinaraks, Emmy." Zia told her. "Let's just get going so we get out of here quicker, then we won't have to find out." Sky suggested.

They walked though the forest for the better part of the day and still hadn't come along any scary Pokémon, barely even another Spinarak. "We should probably make camp. It's getting dark and we won't make it out of the forest by nighttime." Zia muttered.

"Hey, what's that?" Emmy asked as she looked ahead of them. There was a little cabin just sitting there. Peeking the door open after no response to their knocking, all they saw was a dark space with some crates stacked in the back corners.

"It doesn't look like anybody lives here." Sky commented as they didn't see any kind of furniture or food. "It's safer then sleeping out in the woods, especially with the supposed scary Pokémon somewhere still. Let's just stay here." Zia shrugged as they went inside, shutting the door behind them.

Zia rolled out her sleeping bag on the wooden floor. "Goodnight." She told her two Pokémon who were already curled up. They said the same to her as they all settled down to sleep.

Somewhere in the middle of the night, Zia felt something shaking her. "Zia, wake up." She heard Sky said as she nudged her again. "What? What is it?" The girl asked as she groggily sat up, looking around only to see darkness.

Groaning, she fumbled for the lantern and turned it on, a soft glow illuminating the small cabin. "I heard something outside." The Luxray told her quietly. "Yes. Oh, yes, lovely buffet, I love you too." They heard from beside them as they turned to see Emmy drooling in her sleep.

"That must've been the noise." Zia said with a sigh as she rubbed her eye. "That's not the noise." Sky shook her head, "The noise I heard was coming from outside."

"From outside?" Zia asked as they stared at the door. Emmy suddenly sat up, screaming. She stopped and calmed down. "I was having a beautiful dream and all of a sudden it turned into a horrible nightmare." She said. "Did the buffet reject you?" Zia asked her.

"Yeah, how'd you know!?" She exclaimed. "Be quiet or I'll turn your life into a nightmare." Sky threatened the Serperior. "Okay." She squeaked, terrified of the shadowed face of the Luxray looming over her.

After explaining the situation to Emmy, the three went outside with Zia holding the lantern. "What if it's one of the scary Pokémon from the guidebook?" Emmy asked as they looked around the area.

"I don't see or hear anything." Zia said. "Me neither." Sky said after using her x-ray vision, not seeing anything hidden in the foliage. "Maybe it was the wind." Emmy yawned as they headed back inside.

Just as Zia was about to get back in her sleeping bag, she noticed a big moving lump in it. "What is that!?" She shouted, getting the other two's attention. Carefully, Zia threw the sleeping bag open to reveal a small, brown, bear-like Pokémon sleeping there. It even had a crescent moon mark on its forehead.

Teddiursa: The Little Bear Pokémon
It always licks honey. Its palms taste sweet because of all the honey it has absorbed.

The Teddiursa woke up and looked at them. It smiled as its dark eyes seemed to sparkle. Zia stated at it. "Aren't you a cutie?" Zia asked as it ran over to her, hugging her leg. When she just stood there in shock for a moment, it stared up at her with tears prickling its eyes.