Chapter 2.43: Whirl Cup Prelims

After weeks of of traveling and island hopping, the trio have finally made it to Red Rock Isle.

The first thing they did was head to the Pokémon Center to register for the Whirl Cup. However, when they made it to the Pokémon Center, they noticed a very long line of trainers leading to the front desk where Nurse Joy was situated. "This is going to take forever." Emmy whined.

So, after waiting about half an hour, it was finally their turn. "Next entry, step up please." Joy said, typing away on her computer, as Zia went up to her. "I'd like to register for the Whirl Cup preliminaries." Zia stated.

"I'll just need your name and where you're from." Joy told her. Zia looked behind her to see she was the last one in line. "I'm Zia Braxs, from Pallet Town in the Kanto Region." She told the older. "Well, Ms. Champion, the preliminaries will take place in several stadiums. This map will help you locate them. You'll be in stadium C." Nurse Joy handed her a half-yellow, half-red book with the same wave symbol on it as the rule book.

"How many rounds will there be?" Zia asked curiously. "After the preliminary rounds, only 64 trainers will be allowed to battle in the finals. But, the number of preliminary rounds depends on the number of total entries. Based on the total number of entries in this year's competition, it looks like two wins will be needed to be able to move along to the finals." The nurse answered, typing on her computer for the information.

"Are there any open rooms?" The girl then asked. "Yes, actually. We're quite busy for the competition, but we've made a few renovations since the last time and upped the number of rooms." Joy told her and handed her a key. "Thank you." Zia said before going to settle into the room.

"I've been thinking..." Emmy started as Zia got into bed. "Should we go call Nurse Joy?" Sky asked bluntly as she curled up on the carpet. "Shut up! Anyways, I've been wondering how this is going to work. If it's a water-type competition, you only have Nile to compete with." The Serperior stuck her tongue out at the Luxray in retaliation.

Zia chuckled as she sat up against the wall. "It'll be fine, Emmy. I have an idea in mind." She gave her Pokémon a playful wink before lying down. "If you say so." Emmy muttered as she coiled up.

~~~

The next day, Zia followed the map to stadium C. There were multiple groups of rocks scattered around that squared off sections of water that were used as battlefields. Each trainer would stand on either a green or red platform in the water while there were five smaller, white, circular platforms in the middle for the Pokémon.

"Let's start this off, Nile." Zia threw out the pokeball that released the Croconaw. He appeared on one of the white platforms. "Go, Goldeen, use water pulse!" Her opponent exclaimed.

The white and orange fish Pokémon formed a sphere of water at the tip of its horn before sending it at its opponent. "Jump in the water and use metal claw." Zia told her partner. The Croconaw smiled, though it looked quite terrifying with all his sharp teeth, before hopping into the water.

By doing that, he avoided the water pulse crashing over his platform. He then swam through the water towards the Goldeen. His right hand glowed white as he slashed at the fellow water-type. "Goldeen!" The Pokémon cried as it flew out of the water and onto a platform, fainted.

"Good job." Zia called out to Nile as he hopped back up on his platform. He did his signature hopping dance in excitement. "I love this!" He cried happily. Not only did he get to fight, but it was in the water, and he could best other water-types.

The next battle was between Nile and their second opponent's Horsea. "Horsea, use water gun." Her opponent went first again. The smaller water-type shot a blast of water out of its mouth.

"Counter with hydro pump." Zia ordered. Nile opened his mouth and released a pressurized stream of water. As the two moves collided, the hydro pump easily won out as it pushed the water gun back. It ended up breaking through and hitting the Horsea, knocking it into the air.

"Now ancient power." Zia continued, keeping the pressure on. The Croconaw's body glowed white before the energy formed into a ball in front of him. He then sent it at the Horsea while it was still midair, causing it to be unable to dodge as it got hit. The move made it hit the ground, fainted.

"What should we do now?" Sky asked as they left the preliminary stadium, now guaranteed to proceed to the real competition. "We can go check out the main stadium, get a feel for what its going to look like." Zia suggested as the other two agreed.

After following the map, and possibly asking a person or two along the way, they made it to a colosseum. No one was allowed in until the actual competition tomorrow, but they were able to look at it from a high hilltop.

It was gigantic, even for only being a semicircle, having seats for hundreds of people. The area where the battles were going to take place was filled high with water. There were columns scattered about for the Pokémon to stand on, though. On the other side of the stadium was a grand entrance that led out to the sea, multiple whirlpools swirling about, but none went into the battle area.

One thing was for sure, the Whirl Cup was going to be a fantastic and valuable experience. After all, to be a Guardian, you have to understand all types of Pokémon. And Zia was going to live up to that one way or another.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so sorry that this is so incredibly short. Really didn't feel like adding anything else and I didn't want to tack it on to the beginning of the next chapter.

I hate finals week. I'm so tired lol.

Good luck to any of you who are also in the middle of finals, or about to be so.

Hope you've enjoyed 💜💜💜💜💜

Pokémon...
Shinx~Luxio~Luxray - Female (Sky/Skylar)
Shiny Snivy~Shiny Servine~Shiny Serperior - Female (Emmy)
Dratini - Female (Kaida)
Shiny Eevee~Shiny Umbreon - Male (Rei)
Chikorita~Bayleef~Meganium - Female (Juniper)
Gligar~Gliscor - Male (Monit)
Mareep~Flaaffy - Male (Donar)
Cyndaquil~Quilava~Typhlosion - Female (Cyra)
Houndour~Houndoom - Male (Erebus)
Totodile~Croconaw - Male (Nile)
Misdreavus~Mismagius - Female (Hecate)
Eevee~Espeon - Female (Adira)
Teddiursa - Male (Riot)