Chapter 2.18: One Head is Better Than None

On the path to Goldenrod City, the Champion and her two partners must traverse through a deep, dark forest. For ones so brave, it should be an easy feat... right?

"AHH! It moved, it moved I tell you!" Emmy screeched in horror as she coiled up behind Sky. The Luxray sighed and fought the extreme urge to bang her head against a nearby tree trunk. Zia was feeling similar thoughts.

"Emmy. It's a tree branch. Tree branches move around a bit when there's wind - which there is." Zia told her just as a gentle breeze flew through, rustling the branches a bit once more.

The Serperior peaked out from her hiding spot in her coiled body, giving off a shaky laugh, "Of course! I knew that, I was just... stating the obvious." She tried to play it off. "Yes, because everyone runs and screams in fear when saying how a branch moved. Honestly, Emmy, what are you scared of? It's not like we're a small Shinx and Snivy anymore, and Zia is a strong psychic." Sky asked, not understanding the other's tendency to be so jumpy when the environment is spooky.

"Because, while you lived in the peaceful forest in Pallet and were found by Zia early on, I was abandoned and forgotten in a creepy, dark forest like this one that was teeming with evil Pokémon that loved to try and pick me off!" The grass-type snapped before realizing what she said and hanging her head, clenching her jaw.

Both Zia and Sky were taken aback at the outburst. Emmy had never mentioned her life before being saved by Professor Oak from some nasty Spearow. "Emmy, we're sorry if we made you feel bad, we didn't know this fear went deeper than a normal irrational one." The white haired girl apologized, beginning to understand all the times Emmy's wanted to leave when they were in places such as the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town.

The Serperior held her gaze to the ground for a moment longer before sighing, lifting her head back up. "It's fine. I just get really uncomfortable in darker places where there's more spots for things to hide. I was originally given to some rich girl as an egg for her 9th birthday, but when I hatched, she said she didn't want a grass-type. Her parents then took me and dumped me off into the nearest forest. Just so happened that that forest in particular was known for being infested with... darker Pokémon. Pokémon who enjoyed hunting others and making them suffer. I was only a couple days old, and I was already fighting for my life. It wasn't until about a few of months later that I was able to escape. Took another 3 months to travel from wherever I was to where Professor Oak found me near Pallet. That flock of Spearow thought I'd be an easy target, but thankfully Oak saved me. And then I met you, and Sky, and the others started to join us, and I wanted to be strong and keep up with everyone. That's why I never told any of you about this, I didn't want to hold you all back."

By the end of her story, Emmy's face was contorted into a grimace and she couldn't look the other two females in the eye, refocusing her gaze to the ground instead. So, she was immensely surprised when she felt herself being tugged into a three-way hug.

"You are an idiot, Emmy, but you're also my best friend. My idiotic best friend. Everyone has their weaknesses, like mine is being unable to loosen up sometimes. Zia's is being an airhead-" "Hey!" "-and yours is being impatient and hot-headed. It's okay to have fears, we would never treat you differently if you had told us any sooner, because your fears don't define you. Zia and I will always be here to help you just like you'd do for us." The Luxray soothed with their trainer nodding along in agreement.

Leaning back, they could see fat tears welling up in the shiny Pokémon's eyes. "You're right! I shouldn't let the memory of those jerks haunt me! Come on guys, let's g- AHH!" Emmy screamed when she turned to keep going down the path, only to come face-to-face with a floating head.

As the Serperior's spirit left her body in a moment of shock, Zia studied the figure. It was a Pokémon, now that she actually looked at it. It was basically just a small, blue, floating face that had red orbs around its neck, and wispy tendrils on the back of its head that turned pink at the ends.