Chapter 5

The shadows stalked through the mist. Black trees occasionally blocked them from view. Leaves rustled softly from the steps of the seven silhouettes, but the wind and all other forest sounds had died in the dark.

Cassandra watched it all as though she was standing twenty feet from the hunters. Six walked in front intent on a house at the edge of the trees. One followed behind, his steps were confident but lacked the casual stealth of the other shadows. Only his steps rustled the leaves, Cassandra realized; the other six were completely silent.

This time she could see their eyes. No other features were visible, but she could see their eyes gleaming in the night. The six in front had eyes that burned like green fire. They made her afraid. Those were not human eyes.

The one behind them had eyes that flared like red coals. He held out one hand and within his shadowy fingers a light flickered, as though he was holding a red flame in the palm of his hand...

Cassandra shuddered awake. Her nightgown was soaked again and her covers twisted. This nightmare just would not let her be. She crawled out of bed and grabbed her diary, scribbling furiously to make the fear go away. But as she finished writing the last word, she still felt no comfort. She took a breath and stood up again. Sleep would be impossible now. She could almost see the glowing eyes watching her from the shadows of her room. She shivered.

Running a hand through her tousled hair, she grabbed her wool skirt and cotton blouse and began to dress. Old Lady would be ready for a milking. The angry old cow might not appreciate the hour, but that was just too bad. She pulled on her boots and untangled the blankets and sheets on her bed. She went to leave and then stopped. She looked back at the simple silver necklace next to her diary. Her mom's necklace. She slipped it around her neck, touching the bit of star carved ivory hanging from the burnished silver chain.

She wandered into the stable and patted Old Lady on the head. The cow's large eyes fluttered open and she let out an angry moan. Cass dragged over her bucket and stool, placed some fresh hay in Old Lady's trough and sat down to work. Surprisingly, the old cow didn't attempt to kick her or her bucket as she worked. Perhaps the cow was too tired from being woken up at whatever obscene hour it was to put forth the effort.

Suddenly Cassandra remembered that today was the third day of the week. She groaned inwardly. Every third day her father had arranged for her to go to school in town. He said that she needed interaction with children her own age.

It was a stupid idea and she had told him so. She had told him the first time he had made her go and almost every time since then, but he had put his foot down. The first few times Ashur had carried her the whole three mile walk. The second time she had run all the way home only to find her father waiting. He had somehow guessed her intent and stayed home from work just to catch her and send her back. She'd never seen him so mad at her.

Rubbing her sore fingers, she rose from her stool and the frothing milk bucket. She was just about to go inside when the door flung open and her father stepped in. His dark hair stuck out here and there. His massive frame filled the doorway as he walked through. Intense blue eyes flickered around the stable and settled upon his startled daughter standing next to a bucket full of milk. He scratched his beard and said, "You're up a little early today little one."

Cass shrugged and made as if to walk past him to the door, but his size made it impossible. One large hand touched her shoulder and another gently lifted her chin so she was looking up at his face.

"What's wrong, Cass?" he asked, concern spread across his careworn face.

Cassandra looked away. She didn't like being pressed. She would tell him about her dream when she felt like it and right now she didn't want to talk about it with anyone.