Chapter 9

Ashur held onto Cass and Champion as the first rays of sunlight signaled the dawn of a new day. He kept the pace, but as the light settled on the forest's foliage and the high pitched notes of birdsong rose in the air, he couldn't help but think that things would somehow be better. The night had ended, and they were unscathed. [huh...I remember not as much time passing before]

Then Cass turned and glanced up at him, her gray eyes wide with fear, and most of his optimistic feelings dissolved. Something was really out there. He didn't know what it was, but it was coming for them. She looked as if she could see the things chasing them right now. A mere sunrise couldn't make whatever those things were disappear. He took a deep breath; they would be reaching Amniston soon. Champion was beginning to let off foamy horse sweat and, despite his father's word, he wasn't sure if the big stallion was going to make it at this pace. His father. Ashur scowled, his father had been prepared for something like this.

He was still lost in thought when, out of nowhere, a deer darted out in front of him and into the trees on the other side. That wouldn't have been so odd, but he saw a fox do the same thing [do the SAM thing!]. Then he noticed a quiet in the air. No insects or birds, only the pounding of Champion's hooves against the dirt. Cass grabbed his arm and looked up at him with wide fearful eyes,

"They're coming!" she whispered.

Ashur said nothing he rode over an incline and saw Amniston in the distance. A sprawling complex of barns and log dwellings, Amniston was the northernmost part of the Leda River. In Tasura, all goods from the north were ferried through here. Ashur held onto Champion and his sister wishing that the horse could move faster. The sun rose ever higher marking the time slipping away. He almost wished that he could see the creatures coming after them, just to know what they were up against. He hated that he had no picture of what they were in his mind. He couldn't fight phantoms.

They closed in on the wooden stockade that surrounded the river port. Water from the river had been diverted to create a moat around the town. Amniston was well known for its importance to commerce and the stockade had a regular detachment of guards to protect it and the goods traveling through it. The guards, all dressed in Amniston black and red, were all on top of the stockade carrying crossbows. Two stood on either side of the main gate.

Cass and Ashur raced across the drawbridge, but Ashur reigned in the horse as they came to the gate. Champion halted obediently and stood panting for air. The guards at the gate raised their pikes, the ones on the wall lowered their crossbows. One of the ones on the ground marched up to Ashur.

"Do you have the capability of controlling your horse, boy?" he growled.

"Yes," replied Ashur tightly, "we have business to attend to so if you would--"

"--We need to get inside the town now!" interrupted Cass.

"Do you now?" said the guard his glare changing into a smile, "Well, I am afraid no one gets through without my permission."

"We have important business," said Ashur. Cassandra was glancing around frantically. He put a hand on her shoulder, trying to steady her.

"Well if you have business," continued the guard, "then I am sure I can let you through for a small fee. You nearly rode down me and my friend here."

Ashur nodded and climbed off the horse. Judging from Cassandra's frantic movments and wide eyes, there was no time to argue. He began searching through the pouches in the saddlebag.

"You know boy," continued the guard, "That is a mighty fine horse you have there. Where did you say you were from?"

"Bordertown," answered Cass as her brother hurriedly looked in one pouch after another. No silver. They all seemed to contain powders of some sort. Powders he knew nothing about.