Chapter 21

Ashur slowly limped his way across the room. He started to fall forward but was just close enough to grab the wall. Taking a deep breath he turned and waited for a moment. The tray was still sitting at the end of the table, but the food was all gone, and despite Evelyn's warning he had not vomited.

Taking a deep breath, he began limping back to the table. This time he made it without losing balance or having his knees buckle beneath him. Leaning on the table for a moment, he looked at the bare wall in front of him. His legs seemed to be slowly remembering how they were supposed to work.

Pushing down on the table he stood erect for a moment. Then he began walking back again to the far side of the room. Figuring out how to walk kept his mind from drifting. It kept him focused on the task at hand rather than on the nebulous worries and fears that ached in his soul. He took another step feeling a slow but unmistakable strengthening in his joints and legs. Whatever they had done to him, it was working.

He had just reached the wall without having to grope at it for balance when he heard someone walk through the door. With slow jerking movements he turned around to face the opened door and the young woman who had walked through it.

Evelyn stopped at the table for a moment. Then she slowly turned to glare at Ashur who was standing in the corner. Ashur looked back at her. She really was beautiful, he thought. Even with the look she was giving him.

"What do you think you're doing?" she asked.

"I was–"

"I told you not to get off that table." She pointed at it, "without my consent."

"I know, but you also said that Segurant–"

"–But nothing! I didn't go through all the trouble of healing you for you to go breaking your knees again! Your legs need rest!"

"You...you're the one that healed me?" he asked slowly.

Before Evelyn could answer, the door opened again and Segurant walked through. He moved quickly past Evelyn towards the table. Then he turned and faced Ashur. His metal hand glinted in the light from the room on the other side of the open door.

"Ah good, you can walk," he said eyeing Ashur up and down. "Come along lad we must leave this place," he said, turning to walk back out.

"No!" said Evelyn. "He cannot walk yet! He needs rest!"

"He appears able to walk to me," replied Segurant. "Come young squire time is short and the way is long."

"He will not go with you until I say he is ready." Said Evelyn, an edge in her voice.

Ashur began limping towards the arguers. His pace was slow, yet every step seemed to make him stronger.

"He looks ready enough to me." Said Segurant again.

"He is in no condition to do traveling of any sort!" replied Evelyn before Ashur could respond. "He needs at least two more days! Then he may be capable of some light traveling with frequent stops for rest."

"Two days?" said the Ironhand. "Impossible."

"Both legs broken, severe bleeding, injuries aggravated by constant movement you don't just bounce back from that!"

"I have to go," said Ashur.

Evelyn rounded on him like an angry lioness.

"What?" she asked softly.

"I have to go," repeated Ashur. "My sister is being hunted and I have to be at the place we were to meet, so I will know if something went wrong."