Chapter 30

Ashur awoke flat on his back on the table in the room of the healer. His eyes snapped open and he glanced around trying to deduce how long he had been out. He turned his head and saw that Lachesis's table was empty. Alarmed, he sat bolt upright and swung his feet over one side. As he did so blood drained from his face and he nearly collapsed back on the table. With an effort he kept himself upright breathing heavily and waiting for the dizzy spell to cease.

"Your body responds well to magic," came a voice from behind him. He heard footsteps as the healer walked up to face him. The healer bent close and peered into Ashur's eyes.

"Have you been healed before, lad?"

Ashur nodded and began pulling himself to his feet unsteadily. He had been healed once before, though he had been blessedly unconscious that time.

"How many times?" asked the healer reaching out to help Ashur steady himself.

Ashur shrugged off his help, "Once."

The healer's eyes widened as Ashur staggered to the door,

"I have some food and drink prepared. It would be wise to gather your strength before venturing out."

Ashur's lips twisted into a grim smile. "Are all you healers the same?"

"Healing is very hard on your body. Magic caused it to do things in moments that would have taken weeks. Rest would be prudent, despite your impressive tolerance of the effects of magical healing."

"Where is the man who was on the other table?"

"Lachesis? He left a few moments before you awoke. I believe he's meeting with the team for your mission."

"Then that is the prudent place for me to be," replied Ashur placing his hand on the door. On the bright side it was much easier to walk this time than it was last time. He leaned heavily on the door and walked through it. He looked up and down dirt road and then turned around to look at the healer again,

"What's your name?"

"My name is Dyllon."

"Dyllon, would you give me directions to where Lachesis is having his little meeting?"

The healer stepped up to Ashur looking him up and down. Ashur leaned against the doorframe trying to conserve some of his energy.

"It's Ashur right? Ashur, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Ashur closed his eyes.

"I really need to be there for this meeting."

"Why's that?" asked Dyllon turning away and walking to a connecting room that was off to one side.

"Because they are discussing how to get my sister back!"

Dyllon returned with a tray of food and a pitcher of water. He turned and placed them on one of the tables.

"Listen Ashur, first of all there are many buildings in Aerico and I have no idea which has been chosen for this meeting. Secondly, even if you were there none of them would listen to you because you are not one of them."

Ashur stepped away from the doorway.

"Maybe I'll find it myself."

"Maybe, but if you intend to rescue your sister from whatever horrors have taken her, it may be wise to gather a bit of your strength first. It's not like they can leave without you."

Ashur staggered back into the room angrily and grabbed a piece of bread.

"Why can't they leave without me?"