Chapter 23

"This time it's not for the Order," said Abdiel leaning forward slightly.

"Had a falling out did we?"

"What makes you say that?"

Faran turned and looked down at the docks, "this city is full of whispers, and if you know how to listen you can find a whisper to tell you just about anything you want to know."

"Did the whispers tell you that Jack Linch is out?"

Faran took a sip of his wine, "It was never clear to me why you didn't kill the dog when you had the chance."

"Orders."

"Ah."

"I am going to bring him down this time."

"I must say, Pieter, that if my memory serves me correctly, when you call in favors you usually don't waste any time explaining what their for. The fact that you are now is slightly unnerving."

"That's unnerving? What about a maniacal sorcerer terrorizing the countryside?"

"Somebody else's problem."

"Alright, I want two things."

Faran visibly braced himself.

"First, I need a boat. Nothing fancy. Just something that floats but big enough for open sea."

"Going somewhere?"

"I need it by tomorrow."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Secondly, I need a bag of tricks."

Faran had been about to take another sip but his glass stopped in midair. His face froze for a moment as he processed what Abdiel had just said. Slowly his face changed to condescending contempt,

"Pieter, I think you may have forgotten how things work around here."

"If by that you mean how careful the Tsade are about their secret. Then I can assure you I have not. I would never have considered asking this from you were it any less than a life debt."

"What is this? The Magnus decided to send you to steal our secrets for his endless little crusade?"

"I told you that I'm working alone this time."

"Your mad. I'll not cater to insanity; your request is denied. The boat maybe but I'd have to be crazy and stupid to give you the other thing."

"Just one, and I'll use it right away. I won't even look inside. You have my word."

"What part of, "No, you're insane!" don't you understand? This isn't some little rule I can bend for a buddy whenever I feel like it. This is the great Tsade commandment."

"You owe me something, Faran," said Abdiel looking at the other man's neck.

Faran's hand slid up to the scar involuntarily. He pulled it away as if burned,

"No! Not this. Don't you understand? This isn't on the table. Sure, I owe you my life so ask me for anything. You want a boat? Have a boat. You want gold? Have some gold. You want me to bloody kill someone with my bare hands? I'll do it. But not this! Anything but this."

"Faran, I understand your reluctance, I really do, but this is what I want and you're the only one that can get it for me."

"You're not getting it, Pieter. There is not a Tsade anywhere who wouldn't cut his own throat before handing that over. Don't you realize what your asking? That's our future, our power, our whole way of life! Any one of the twelve kings would give up two thirds of his kingdom and his firstborn son for what you want!"