Chapter 11

Ashur rubbed his bare feet against the cold stone floor. He worked his hands against the shackles that chained him to iron rings on the wall. A throbbing pain clung to his head where one of the guards had struck him. He moved his aching arms and legs, feeling stabs of pain where the guards had kicked him.

He had woken up as they were binding him in the center of a circle of guards who were kicking and beating his limp body. He'd lost consciousness then and couldn't remember being carried into this prison cell. He licked his lips tasting dust and blood.

Where had Cass gone? Surely she was in a better state than he. He had noticed when she had slipped father's note from his pocket. He had thought, at the time, that it had been wise on her part in case the worst should happen to him. Since the worst had happened he had to assume that she had followed father's instructions and was now okay.

He wished he had read the letter. It may have explained a few things, like why they were being chased by monsters. He figured it had something to do with father's real job. That had to be why his father had separated from them. He thought these things were after him. But then why were they coming after me and Cass? Father had said he would meet up with them soon, but Ashur had known the promise was a lie almost before it had left his his mouth. Father had gone through great lengths to not get his family mixed up in whatever it was that he was mixed up in. He wouldn't meet up with them again until whatever this was, was resolved. What had he done?

It bothered Ashur that he knew so little about a man he had lived with his entire life. The fact that his father had had a special stash prepared meant that he had been expecting something like this to happen for some time.

He heard voices just outside his cell and the sound of a bar lifting. The heavy wooden door opened to admit three soldiers, but they did not wear the red and black of the Amniston Guard; they wore the white and black of the king's army. He sat up as they stepped inside and closed the door. One of them had a chair in one hand.

The other two walked to either side of him and unlocked his chains. He watched them in surprise. He considered briefly making a run for the door when the last chain was off, but what would be the point with guards and soldiers patrolling the whole prison? Besides his body was so sore and bloody he wasn't sure he could even stagger out unaided.

After his chains were off the two guards on either side of him gripped him roughly and placed him in the chair the first guard had provided. One tied him tightly to the chair and the first one bent close looking him in the face.

Ashur flinched at seeing the man's yellow green eyes. He'd never seen eyes that color before, but there was something behind them as well, something that made his skin prickle.

The leader leaned close and, in a cold hungry voice said, "Hello, young man," a smile spread across his face, "We have some questions."

"Who are you?" asked Ashur. He felt a hard fist strike the side of his face, rocking the chair and knocking him to the ground.

"We ask the questions," hissed one of them.

"Tell us about your family," said the one who seemed to be the leader, still smiling.

Ashur glanced at the other's strange eyes. "No," he said finally. "Leave my family alone."

Another blow to his head, bright lights flashed before his eyes.

"Where is your sister?"

He took a deep breath. "I don't know," he said.

Pain exploded into the side of his torso shivering its way through his body. The leader pulled Ashur close, "Tell us where the girl is, boy."