Chapter 7 - Learning How to Fly

Kairi had learned calligraphy when she was younger but most of her talent in calligraphy had disappeared as she had grown older as during the modern era, it wasn't required to write with a brush. How nice would it be to own a pen or pencil right now? She sighed heavily as she finished her thirtieth copy of the Disciplinary Rules. Her brushstrokes were no longer heavy and it took less space to write out the rules. She was just about to dip her brush in ink when a husky voice spoke from behind her.

"Sigh, I didn't think you would hate my hairpin enough to not wear it. It would have looked lovely on you," Zhang Sheng sighed.

That womanizing jerk has appeared, she thought angrily. She turned her head slightly and saw his figure leaning against the bookshelf. One leg was crossed over the other and a book was in one of his hands. She suddenly remembered that she promised to throw the hairpin back into his face if she ever saw him again but she knew better than to agitate him. Her hand went to the pouch on her side and felt the pin.

Sigh... I really want to throw this back in his face...

He looked up from the book when he realized that she had been staring at him.

"What is it? Did you finally fall for my handsome looks? I admit I do look quite scholarly when I'm holding a book in my hand," he said with a laugh. Kairi sneered at him and turned back to her copy of Disciplinary Rules. Despite ignoring him, she heard him walk over. He took a seat opposite of her and laid his book down on the table and peered down at her sheet of paper.

"Wow... your calligraphy is as harsh as your words," he commented. It was then Kairi felt her patience snap. She glared up at him and slammed her brush down onto the table smearing ink on her piece of paper.

"What do you want?" she hissed.

"Do you want to accompany me outside of the villa?" he asked.
"No," she said right away.

"That's a shame. I heard that you wanted to learn how to fly on a sword. I may not look it but I'm a great teacher. With my help you could probably learn to fly by the end of today," Zhang Sheng said. He nonchalantly flipped the page of his book, ignoring her contemplating face.

How did he know that she had been wanting to learn how to fly on a sword? It must have been her master, she thought feeling annoyed but regardless, she was supposed to copy the rules all day. She wasn't about to disobey her master.

"Even if I wanted to, I will not disobey my master," she said and picked up her brush again.
"So that means that you're willing to if you weren't punished?" he asked. Just exactly what was he getting at? Before she could ask, he answered her right away. "It just so happens that Wei Xing Da Shi Xiong had agreed to let you off the hook if you agreed to accompany me for the day."

So it was just another punishment in place of the one she was doing right now, she thought. She could continue copying the rules or accompany the pest in front of her for an entire day. She won't get anything out of copying the rules but if she accompanied Zhang Sheng, she might be able to learn how to fly. There really wasn't anything to lose so she placed the brush neatly on the ink stone and sighed.

"Fine. I'll accompany you but I swear, if you do anything I don't like, I'm leaving," she warned only to receive a mischievous smile from him. She got up from her cushion seat and started to leave when Zhang Sheng asked, "Where do you think you're going?"

"To go get my sword in my room," she retorted.

"That won't be necessary," he told her. Before she could ask why, he had already rounded the table and wrapped his arm around her tiny waist. He carried her in one arm with ease and called out his sword with a whistle. It flew in from outside and he jumped on top of it gracefully.