Chapter 50-Infiltrating Tian Ling Sect

The traitor couldn't possibly be Zhao Chen, could it?

Kairi wanted to know more but she didn't get to ask. Zi Yi suddenly burst into tears.

"How can the world be this unfair? My mother was branded as a traitor and we were forced to be on the run while Tian Ling Sect is still revered as a sect that stands for justice," she cried. Kairi didn't know what to say. When she first appeared in this world, she lucked out by ending up in Liu Sect. She wouldn't know what to do if she had ended up in a sect like Tian Ling Sect.

"Here," Xiao Huo said suddenly as he handed a handkerchief to Zi Yi. Seeing the tiny exchange between the two of them, Kairi couldn't help but smile a tinge.

"Xiao Huo, why don't you accompany Maiden Zi Yi for a little bit while I get some fresh air outside?" Kairi suggested. Xiao Huo had forgotten all his excitement about venturing through the city. He simply nodded in her direction as he gave Zi Yi a complicated look. She got up from her seat and stepped outside of the room. She took a deep breath to calm her thoughts.

"Tian Ling Sect..." she thought angrily. Her hands clenched into tight fists as she walked down the busy streets. Her thoughts were quickly interrupted by a large crowd that was betting on something.

"Did you hear? A grand disciple of the late Master Jin Ling has returned. Word is, Tian Ling Sect might win the competition this year!" someone in the crowd exclaimed.
"Then I'm definitely betting on Tian Ling Sect!"

"Tian Ling Sect? Haven't they lost two years in a row? What can a mere disciple do against the highly revered Jiang Huo Sect?" someone else retorted.

"Don't forget the Wen Jia Sect! They aren't pushovers either!"

Wen Jia? Jiang Huo?

They must be the other two great sects in the west lands. Kairi watched the spectacle for a while and noticed that most bets were on Jiang Huo Sect while Tian Ling came in a close second. She learned quite a lot just watching and listening to the crowd. Jiang Huo Sect was many talented disciples with great cultivation and skills. Tian Ling Sect was once at the top but the sect leader focused most of time on women and the sect had slowly declined over the years. Wen Jia Sect on the other hand, were the underdogs but has recently slowly climbed up in strength. The people who were in charge of taking bets were walking around the crowd collecting bets suddenly came up to Kairi.

"Young Master, would you also like to place a bet?" asked the gentleman. Kairi grinned as she held up a bag of coins as if undecided.

"Hm, I can't seem to decide. Do you have any advice for me?" Kairi asked.

"Ah! Of course! Jiang Huo winning ratio is three to one. Tian Ling is two to one. If you aren't sure about betting large, you could bet on the competitors themselves. The strongest disciple, Jiang Yi of Jiang Huo is extremely popular and has the highest chance of winning first place. Then there is his brother Jiang Liu who is in third place. There is also that mysterious grand disciple of the late Master Jin Ling who is slowly climbing up in the ranks of favorites. Right now he is tied in second place with the Tian Ling's sect leader's eldest disciple, Wu Bai," the gentleman kindly explained.

"Who is this Master Jin Ling?" Kairi asked. It was the second time she's heard his name being mentioned.
"AH! What rock did you crawl under from? Master Jin Ling is one of the most famous cultivators among the west lands. He wasn't just skilled and strong, he was also kind and respectable! Everyone was so sure that he would become the next sect leader of Tian Ling. It was only unfortunate that he had died in place of one of his traitorous disciple, Zhao Chen!"

Traitorous disciple... Zhao Chen? This grand disciple of Master Jin Ling... they couldn't possibly be talking about her?

Kairi wanted to laugh. Tian Ling Sect killed her grandmaster and now is using her master to force her to enter the competition under their name. Ha! She was definitely not going to enter this competition. She'll smear their name and drag them into the mud. She placed the bag of gold into the gentleman's hand.