Chapter 22 - The Seal Cracks

Kairi stood at the gates of Lan Manor and watched Feng Jiang disappeared off into the distance. It took all of the servants and the soldiers who came to escort Feng Jiang to force him out the doors. He was constantly going on about not wanting to leave Kairi to fend for herself. It wasn't until Madam Feng showed up and finally convinced him to leave after she vowed to keep an eye out for Kairi.

"Let's see how long you can live this time now that all of your guards are gone," Madam Feng laughed as she took off back to her living quarters. A Hua looked nervously at Madam Feng then to Kairi.

"Missy, will things really be alright? Master isn't here and Young Master just left. The last time this happened, you almost..." A Hua trailed off as she remembered the night when the two intruders tried to kidnap her.

"It really will be alright, A Hua," Kairi said but she wasn't too sure of herself. There was no energy left inside of her body. She couldn't even summon her sword. She was as defenseless as Xiao You was when she was only ten. She still had her martial arts but it can only take her so far before the opponent started using their energy against her. Sighing heavily, she decided it was best to worry about it when the time came. It was pointless to worry about it now.

It had been two days since Zhang Sheng left to Liu Sect to find out more about her cultivation issue. She couldn't understand why it was taking him so long. If he really wanted to, he could've returned that same day. Did something happen in Liu Sect?

As worried as she was about her own cultivation, she was more worried about Madam Feng. She had been extremely quiet since Feng Jiang left. Just as Kairi was about to voice her worries, A Hua came running into her villa.

"Missy, Madam Feng suddenly announced that she is leaving to go pray at a temple on Mount Hai," A Hua exclaimed.

"She's leaving to Mount Hai? When?" Kairi asked.
"Right as we speak. A carriage is already outside waiting for her," A Hua replied. Kairi frowned and quickly headed for the entrance of Lan Manor. What waited for her there was Madam Feng entering a large carriage filled with luggage and gifts for the temple.

"Did she say why she was going?" Kairi asked as she eyed the carriage that drove away.

"She said something about having a bad dream and wanting to cleanse the evil away."

Feng Jiu who had been waving goodbye to her mother turned around to face Kairi and smirked.

"Hmph. I hope Mother's prayers help washes this manor of all the trash," Feng Jiu said hinting that the trash she meant was Kairi. Letting out a chuckle, Kairi cocked her head to the side and eyed her up and down.

"It seems that someone knows their place after all. Saves me a trip from going to the temple myself. Sigh... Mother in heaven must be excited to know that Lan Manor will soon rid itself of the real trash," Kairi smirked. She took off before Feng Jiu could understand what she had meant.

Nighttime came and Kairi wasn't able to sleep. She had an ominous feeling earlier that day and couldn't shake it off no matter how much she tried. The moment A Hua fell asleep, Kairi pulled out her sword and held it closely to her chest. She had just blown out the candle when she heard light footsteps from the roof. She may have lost her energy but her senses hasn't dulled one bit.

"A Hua, wake up and hide," Kairi said but A Hua who had been asleep by her bedside didn't stir. She got out of bed and quickly tried to shake her awake but A Hua was deep asleep. She leaned in close and there was a sweet scent coming from her breath.

"Sleeping weed?" she thought and pulled out her sword. The window bursts open and two men dressed in black jumped inside. The both of them were armed with daggers and they raced forward ready to slice her into pieces. Kairi barely dodged the attacks and quickly raced outside to avoid A Hua from getting caught in the fight. She stepped out into her courtyard and found a group of men dressed in black waiting for her. Kairi noticed the two servants by her door had easily been killed without her noticing. The assassins weren't average thugs. Their levels were at least four if not five. Kairi could've easily taken them down if it wasn't for her body holding no energy. She could only rely on her speed and pray that the assassins couldn't use magic. The two men who had jumped into her room came out only to freeze in place. One look and Kairi could tell that the two men who had snuck into her room were from a different group.