Chapter 9 - Assassination Attempt

Zhang Sheng immediately pulled Kairi to his side and pulled out his sword. He eyed them all cautiously, waiting for the enemy to make the first move.

Everyone single one of the men's face were hidden behind a black veil. They all pulled out their sabers and the leader screamed, "Kill them!"

Kairi has fought off against many demons that entered the mountain but she has never gone up against a person before, not to mention a group of at least eight. Zhang Sheng kept her safe as he easily fought against every single assassin with ease but even though he was swiftly bringing them down, anyone could see that there was just too many. With no one to watch Zhang Sheng's back, one of the assassins snuck out and raised his blade, ready to strike the both of them. Kairi immediately pulled out her blade and blocked it but with the body of a twelve year old, she was quickly overpowered. She struggled to keep on her feet as she was pushed back by the force of the incoming blade. The trail of dirt made by her feet was at least four feet.

"Kill her!" Kairi heard the leader scream out. Two assassins pulled away from the group attacking Zhang Sheng and went for her instead. Two sabers came soaring down her at a fast speed. She barely dodged it by jumping back. The two sabers slammed into the ground spraying dirt everywhere. It was apparent that the men in black were after her. She swung her sword horizontally and energy erupted from the tip of her blade. The move wasn't strong enough to render them immobile but it was still enough to push them back. Both men stumbled backwards. They were unprepared for such a move. By the time they regained their footing, Kairi was already onto them. With a swing of her sword, she cut one man down. The assassin watched his partner go down and it enraged him.

"Die!" he shrieked as he brought his saber down on her. Kairi's eyes widen in horror. She didn't have enough to time react. Just then a bright blue light shot toward the both of them. It was Zhang Sheng's sword. It knocked into the incoming saber with a loud clang and twirled back to its owner. Zhang Sheng broke free from the group of assassins and raced to Kairi's side. He easily cut down the assassin standing in front of Kairi and quickly wrapped his arm around her waist. Throwing his sword out, he jumped onto the sword and the both of them flew off into the sky.

"I thought you said that you needed to stabilize your energy," Kairi cried.

"I did," Zhang Sheng said. Kairi was ready to throw a retort but saw that the color had drained from his face. He wasn't kidding.

"Fifth Shishu! Are you crazy? At this rate you'll die!" she cried. He managed a small smile as he looked down at her.

"Do you like me a little bit now?" he joked. He was joking even at a time like this? Kairi looked behind her and found that the assassins didn't follow them. It seemed that they couldn't fly. She silently thanked the heavens and clung onto Zhang Sheng tightly. They weren't flying nearly as fast but at this rate, the assassins could probably chase them easily by foot.

"Fifth Shishu, fly down. Our best bet right now is to hide. If you continue to like this, you really will die," Kairi exclaimed.

"We can't. There's too many of them," Zhang Sheng said. Kairi looked down at her sword and bit her lower lip. If only she was bigger and stronger then she could fly the both of them home but she didn't have the strength for that. She had never felt so helpless.

"Everything will be alright. As your Fifth Shishu, I promise I'll get you home safe," Zhang Sheng assured her. He even lightly ruffled her hair.

Hours passed by and Zhang Sheng really did as he promised. They reached the gate of the Green Willow Village and touched down roughly. The guards saw their tumbling figures and raced out to help them.

"Fifth Shishu and I were attacked! The assassins are probably somewhere nearby right now!" Kairi exclaimed. The guards sound the alarms and many of the people from Liu Sect came flying out with Wei Xing at the front.