Chapter 36 - Confessions (2)

Did she hear him right? She has heard of stories where the main character was a destined one born for greatness. He wasn't talking about things like that was he?

"Girl of destiny?"

"That's correct. The girl of destiny," he repeated. Seeing the confusion on her face, he elaborated. "When you were just a child, King Wan Yan invited the Holy Abbot to read the future of Eden and instead was given a prophecy. The downfall of Eden would soon began and the girl of destiny marked by the goddess of Eden would descend. The prince who marries the girl of destiny will become king," he explained.

"And how do you know I'm the girl of destiny?" she asked.

"Because my dear brother has chosen to hide you from me," he replied.

"...what?"

"In return for being able to see the mark on the girl of destiny, Zhang Sheng had become cursed. He cannot fall in love with the girl of destiny. Should he fall in love with her, he will never become king. He had known for a long time what you are and has secretly kept watch on you all these years without me knowing. If he hadn't gone searching for you for the past three years, I would've never known."

So that was the truth. Kairi was the girl of destiny but that was impossible. She was from another world. Then could the real girl of destiny possibly be Xiao You? Unfortunately for everyone, the real Xiao You was dead. Kairi was nothing more than a fake, a lost soul who had taken over an empty body without a soul. This also meant that Zhang Sheng's love confession was fake. She knew it was too good to be true. In the end, he had been using her.

"While I'm at it, I guess I should explain all the things he has done too. I was told you were quite close to the daughter of the late Grandmaster Liu, am I correct?" he asked.

What did Mei Er have to do with anything? Kairi furrowed her brows as she eyed him suspiciously. Wan Yi chuckled and took a sip of tea before he spoke again. "I was a disciple of Xing Luo Sect and when Zhang Sheng heard that Xing Luo Sect would merge with Liu Sect after the marriage between the son and daughter of the two grandmasters, he feared that the power behind me would grow. He sabotaged the marriage by killing the daughter of Grandmaster Liu."

"No. She isn't dead!" Kairi blurted.

"How do you know she's still alive? Have you seen her at all after the fire?" he asked. It was true that Kairi never saw Mei Er and Wei Xing again after that incident but Zhang Sheng had told her she'll meet them again one day. She was sure Wan Yi was spinning lies now. He only shrugged and continued with his story.

"I had been there secretly watching the wedding. It was the wedding of my junior, of course. That dance that you had done for the king, you performed it during the wedding," he said. Kairi's eyes widen in horror. Only the people who had been present during the wedding knew that she had created that sword dance specifically for the wedding. "Mei Er, was her name, wasn't it? My junior didn't want to marry a blind woman and had hired someone to kill her in the fire before she could even escape."

"Lies!" Kairi cried as she shot up to her feet.

"They're not lies. I heard it directly from my junior. He had done it because he was smitten with you. If I'm right, he came back to ask for your hand in marriage, didn't he?"

Kairi covered her ears with her hands as she turned her back on him.
"No! I don't want to hear anymore! You're lying to me! Zhang Sheng wouldn't lie to me! Mei Er and Master are safe! They escaped that day!" she cried.

"You wanted to know who attacked Liu Sect, didn't you?" he asked. Kairi whipped around to face Wan Yi who looked quite serious.
"It was none other than your master, Wei Xing. He was attacked and injured horribly during his mission. He never made it to the foot of the mountain. When he heard about Mei Er's death, he blamed it on his own master and caused the downfall of his own sect."