Chapter 28 - The Competition Starts

It seemed like hours since Kairi had gone through the tunnel. It was probably dark out by now but Kairi was glad. Once she made it out, the darkness will help hide her when she escapes. She felt her demon beast egg bouncing within her pouch and she quickly asked it to keep still. She felt extremely nervous wondering if she was going to make it to the other end.

Another hour passed and she finally saw the end of the tunnel. A rope ladder led up to a wooden latch above. She climbed up and lifted the latch. She saw moonlight and an open field. Climbing out of the hole, she saw the forest behind her along with a large boulder. The boulder looked like it had purposely been placed there. It was probably to mark the entrance to the secret tunnel. She adjusted the sling of her bag around her shoulders and wondered where she would head to. Zhang Palace was too far away and she didn't even know where it was located. Her best bet was probably to head to Yang City but it was still particularly far away. She decided to head to the closest town and then make the necessary arrangements. She was just about to pull out her sword when she sensed danger from behind her.

"Tu Er, I believe I told you once but I do not condone treachery," Zhao Chen's voice traveled over and her eyes bulged. She slowly turned around and found not only Zhao Chen but also Er Niu along with several other men.

"How...?" Kairi's voice was stuck in her throat. She sensed the aura seeping off of Zhao Chen. He looked furious.

"I knew something was wrong when Yi Rue was so insistent on making the competition a lot more festive than it should be even when she knew that Er Niu was going to win. To appease the rest of the villagers, the competition will still be held. Whether Er Niu wins or not, you will marry him when the competition finishes," Zhao Chen said angrily.

"And if I refuse and run now?" Kairi shot back.

"I'll kill you right here. The royal forces are getting close to our village. You are now one of us. They won't hesitate to kill you. I don't wish for my only disciple to die before my eyes. I rather kill you with my own two hands then watch you die by someone else," Zhao Chen said. The royal forces are close? Could it be Zhang Sheng? She remembered that Zhang Sheng had been fighting against his brother Wan Yi. What if those forces weren't Zhang Sheng's but Wan Yi's? Even if she escapes, what if she ended up in the enemy's hand?

"Yi Rue says that she will kill herself if we do not bring you back alive. Are you willing to risk the death of Yi Rue and her unborn child?" Er Niu asked. Kairi glared angrily at Er Niu. Even her own master wasn't willing to use his wife as a bargaining chip yet he casually used them. She really despised him.

"Master, I will return for the sake of Yi Rue and your unborn child but I won't marry Er Niu regardless of the outcome," Kairi said.

"Tu Er, do you hate the thought of marrying Er Niu that much?" he asked.

"I rather marry that scarred face mute," Kairi stated.

"Well then..." Zhao Chen trailed off on his words. He huffed and Kairi only managed to hear the words 'I'm sorry'. She had a moment to blink and then Zhao Chen appeared in front of her. His hand raised up and with a harsh jab to her neck, she fell unconscious immediately.

Kairi could hear someone calling her over and over. Her eyes fluttered open and she saw Yi Rue looking down at her. She breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Goodness. I was so worried," Yi Rue cried. Kairi's neck felt stiff as she sat up in bed. She suddenly remembered what had happened the night before. Zhao Chen had been waiting at the end of the tunnel and knocked her out before she could escape.

"Master found out about our plan. He had been waiting at the end of the tunnel," Kairi said as the memories appeared in her mind.

"I tried to stall him for as long as I could but he grew suspicious. I'm sorry I couldn't help," Yi Rue said. Kairi knew it wasn't her fault. Zhao Chen was extremely perceptive. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been able to raid successfully all this time.