Chapter 21 - The Seal (ll)

"Fifth Shidi?!" Jiang Liu cried when he arrived at the gates. It seemed that something had happened at Liu Sect. Zhang Sheng couldn't get into the Liu Sect and he didn't bring his sect token. He could only ask for Jiang Liu who knew him. The two disciples standing guard stared back at him with wide eyes. It seemed they have heard of him.

"What are you doing here? Why didn't you show them your token pass?" he asked.

"I was in a hurry and forgot it. I need to see Master," Zhang Sheng said.
"Of course. Right this way," he said and led him right in. The sect was awfully quiet.

"Second Shixiong, what happened here?" Zhang Sheng asked. He felt that something was amiss.

"There were assassins who snuck in a few days ago. They were quite strong too or so I heard," he explained.

"You heard?"

"Ah, I was sent away on a mission. I just returned yesterday. They must have been looking for something. Apparently Master killed one and the other managed to escape. Liu Sect has never face such humiliation before. Shidi, ever since Da Shixiong and Shimei passed, things haven't been the same. Even Little Shizhi is gone. Master and everyone are quite dejected," he said sadly.

"I just came from Lan Manor. I'm actually here to talk to Master about Little Shizhi," Zhang Sheng said.

"Did something happen to Little Shizhi?" Jiang Liu asked feeling worried.

"Don't worry. There's a little problem with her cultivation. Nothing too serious," Zhang Sheng lied.

"I see. I must send someone for her. It might liven up the sect," Jiang Liu said brightening up at the thought.

"I'll let her know when I return to Lan Manor," Zhang Sheng said.

"Then I'll leave it to Fifth Shidi then," he said.

The both of them arrived at Grandmaster Liu's living quarters and Zhang Sheng entered without Jiang Liu.

"Zhang Sheng, shouldn't you be at Yang City? What are you doing here?" Grandmaster Liu asked.

"Master, I saw the seal on Little Shizhi's core. Why did you seal her core?" Zhang Sheng asked without preamble.

"So you know," he said and sighed. Zhang Sheng waited for him to speak. Grandmaster finished his tea then set his cup down looking anxious.

"Zhang Sheng, this old man is very selfish. I had placed that seal there to protect her. Would you believe this old man?" Grandmaster Liu asked.

"I know you had your reason but when she cultivates, the energy mass she collects ends up disrupting her meridian points instead of being absorbed into the core," Zhang Sheng explained.

"Impossible! Xiao You can still cultivate?" Grandmaster Liu looked perplexed.

"What is the purpose of this seal?" He felt that there was more than Grandmaster Liu was letting on. Zhang Sheng knew that Kairi was special. He's known since the first day he had met her.

"The seal is to keep the original soul of the body locked away," he said almost shamefully.

"Original soul? Master, what are you talking about?" Zhang Sheng asked.

"Inside of that little girl's body lives two souls."

"Two souls?" His brows furrowed. How could a body have two souls? But his thoughts quickly wandered to the prophet that he had heard a couple years back. He repeated the prophecy back to himself.

When one body splits two souls...

Zhang Sheng felt more confused than ever. Kairi had the mark upon her forehead already but there were two souls within that body. Just who was it that was supposed to be the girl of destiny?