Party Poison

Prom was honestly much less fun than Jack had thought it would be
It was just another school dance but fancier and more expensive.

The food was okay but the music was the same kind of bad it always was.
Alex was pretty good at lifting Jack's spirits though.

When he wasn't bringing Jack food or telling him jokes, Alex was kissing him underneath the bleachers.

They had fun, but prom was kind of a waste.

Alex got emotional at graduation, but Jack had no real attachment to the school or anyone in it except his two friends and his fiancé.

Summer started immediately after graduation and Alex practically kidnapped Jack.
They were planning to get married that fall and Jack needed to be there to help plan.

—————

Everything is going well until June 18th.

They wake up as usual and Jack kisses Alex on the cheek

But when he tries to say good morning, no sound comes out.
He blinks and tries to repeat himself. Nothing.
Alex, who hadn't seen Jack's struggle, wishes Jack a happy birthday. Then he frowns at Jack's panicked expression.

"What's wrong?" Alex asks, taking Jack's hand in his own. "Are you okay?"
Jack shakes his head frantically and tries to say something again.
"What happened to your voice?" Alex asks him. "Baby, what's going on?"
Jack lets Alex pull him into a hug.
"It's okay. We'll get through it. Maybe- maybe it's a curse.... true loves kiss?"
Jack shakes his head. That's not part of the prophecy and he doesn't remember any other curses.
"We could try..."
Jack shakes his head again and begins to cry silent tears.

"Maybe it'll wear off on its own then? We'll be married in a few months."
Jack sobs as he remembers the rest of the prophecy. How long will he be in a coma for?

As if sensing Jack's worry, Alex smiles. "Hey," he says softly, "I'll be there. I promise."

Days pass and still no words

Weeks go by and he's seen every doctor in the kingdom

A month and a party is being planned. A celebration of summer and the two who are to be married.

Ronnie's on the guest list.

Alex promises not to leave Jack's side the night before the ball. They both know this party is when it will all happen.
Neither one of the two are really quite ready for what's to happen.

Just like that the party starts as normal
Guests are greeted, Jack's parents arrive, music is played, and uncomfortable clothes are worn.

Bright colors and good food are all presented gracefully around the room and Alex is holding Jack's hand protectively.
They avoid Ronnie at all costs.

A fancy dress party such as this is not where Jack wants to fall into a coma. He avoids all foods. Anything edible could be dangerous today.

They dance a bit to show they're not nervous (a lie) and talk to some family friends to show they'll be great leaders of the kingdom (probably another lie).

Then Alex's parents walk by with Jack's mother.

"Alexander, we need to speak to you," says his father. "Alone."

Alex looks to Jack who seems a bit panicked. But the mute boy motions for Alex to go with them and stands off to the side of the party by himself.
Until a stranger shows up with a plate of snacks.

"Nice party," says the strange old man. "You look like you're not having fun though young prince."
Jack tries to convey that he is having fun but has trouble doing so without words.
"I suppose you must be mute. I did hear about that." The man is quiet. "Your parents noticed you weren't eating at dinner. They asked me to bring you something."

Jack stares at the plate in the mans hand. There's an apple and some other fruits and cheeses on the plate.

"Your mother said for me to watch and make sure you eat everything on this plate to ensure you aren't starving yourself."

Jack internally screams as he takes the plate from the man. He knows the apple's poison. It has to be. There's no way it isn't.

Jack takes the apple first, it feels warm and sticky in his hand. Definitely not right.
He holds the fruit up to his mouth and hears Alex call his name. Then he takes a bite, knowing he'll be awake soon.

"JACK!" Alex screams, running as fast as he can to the love of his life who's now falling onto the floor. An apple rolls out of his hand. A poison apple. "JACK NO!"

The room goes dead silent and someone grabs Alex's arm. Another few people pull the cackling old man away from Jack

And two people carry Jack out of the room.

"STOP! PLEASE YOU HAVE TO LET ME KISS HIM!" Alex cries out. "I HAVE TO BREAK THE CURSE! HE'S SCARED! THIS IS HIS WORST NIGHTMARE, PLEASE LET ME HELP HIM!"

Alex watches helplessly as Jack is taken out of the room.
And then the party continues as normal and Alex races to find his parents.