Favorite Place

Dead.

The news arrives late that night when Alex finally falls asleep.

Dead.

Snow White and her husband are dead.
Jack isn't sure how to process it. He stares up at the ceiling, unsure of what to do, what to think.

Jack thought a weight would be lifted off his shoulders, he really is safe now, but at what cost? Jack never wanted this. He never wished death upon his parents no matter how many arguments or disagreements he got into with them.

What now?
Who's going to sit front row at the wedding? Who's going to give him away?

Who's going to tells his children embarrassing stories?

Jack lets out a shaky breath, tensing up when Alex wraps an arm around him in his sleep.

Alex. Of course. Alex is full of embarrassing stories about Jack. Jack doesn't need to be given away at his own wedding. Screw the wedding. It was all for show anyway, Alex and Jack has been basically married since birth.

Jack looks down at the sleeping man beside him with a smile, then places a soft kiss to Alex's forehead.

"I don' want any orange juice~" a sleeping Alex complains, snuggling into Jack's side. Jack laughs, then turns back to the ceiling, letting his mind wander until he finally drifts off to sleep.

But then suddenly there's a loud knock at the door, and both Jack and Alex jolt awake.

"We have news on the battle," comes the voice of Mr. Grimm. His voice remains emotionless as he speaks. "The parents of Alexander Gaskarth, king and queen of this kingdom, are dead."

The princes freeze, staring at the door in shock. Alex runs his hand through his hair nervously. "I- I don't-"
Jack hugs Alex tightly. "We'll be okay."
"I just inherited a whole kingdom!" Alex exclaims, though he doesn't sound excited. If anything he sounds terrified. "I can't- I can't do this! It's too much, I-"
"Alex," Jack says softly. "I'll help. You'll be alright."
Rian stumbles over, yawning. "I'll help too. I'm sure Zack would want to help also."
Avril and Hayley walk over as well. "We haven't known you long," Avril says, "but hey, this is the most interesting thing I've done in a while. What's running a kingdom compared to a little war?"

Alex snorts, then sighs, leaning his head on Jack's shoulders.

"We're gonna make it," Jack says.
"But how?"

A book falls off the shelf, starling all the teenagers in the room. It floats into the air, growing in size and glowing slightly.

It flips to what seems like a random page until it lands on a picture of what looks like Jack and Alex's wedding day. There's several people around them, cheering them on. Rian, Zack, Hayley, and Avril. The friends they've made while finding their place in this world.

Alex looks up at Jack and smiles softly. "Looks like our story isn't over after all."

Jack kisses Alex, then smiles. "As long as I have you, my story will never end."