Chapter 11

4 weeks later
I have been spending a lot of time with everyone in and outside of lessons. It turned out that I have psychological with Bobby and Kurt, I have English literature with Kitty and Warren, biology with Bobby, Warren and Colossus, I have art with everyone and I'm in music on my own. I spend most of my free time in the art room, writing music or dancing unless I'm with the others. I grew a lot closer to everyone and speak to them all telepathically now although Rogue is apprehensive of me but I think that's because me and Bobby are so close due to the soul friend bond. Homework has been relatively easy and I even got tasked to write two pieces of music whether that be a song or an instrumental song about love and or our past before we came here. There are 8 students in the class but there is another class of 6. Some people have taken it just as a filler option so they don't really care and see it as more of an opportunity to just chat and gossip. Out of all of us, there is about 5 of us that take it seriously and actually love to produce music.

I also got a job at a local animal rescue and shelter because I didn't want to keep using money from other people even though they said it was perfectly okay. I'm one of those people that doesn't like anyone doing anything for them and is a bit too independent for their own good. The main reason I wanted to earn money was to get a pair of ballet point shoes. Ballet was a huge part of my life when I was a child and it was one of the only good things in my life back then but a good pair are expensive so I got a job so I could buy a pair. It has a good pay with the added bonus that I'm around animals all day. I really connect with animals due to my nature powers and shifting into felines so it just felt like the perfect place to work for me. They aren't a normal rescue shelter though as they have more exotic animals as well. There aren't many traditional pets there. It's filled with bizarre animals that you wouldn't expect to find at a shelter like crocodiles, elephants and my personal favourite, big cats like tigers and lions. The more exotic animals are there for rehabilitation before they are taken to a zoo or sold to safaris or ranges. Most of the animals are very young like the lion cub we got in last week. We called him Lumino as he is a white lion. I go in every weekend and take care of the animals as well as Tuesdays and Thursdays as I finish school slightly earlier.

I was in the middle of writing a song for my music homework when the professor called me telepathically asking to come to his office

I was in the middle of writing a song for my music homework when the professor called me telepathically asking to come to his office. He sounded worried and stressed so I got there as quickly as I could without raising suspicions as to why I was running around the halls like a headless chicken.

When I walked in, I could easily see the concern on his face. My mind instantly went through all the things I've done in the past few days to try and think of what I had done to make him call me in here and have this expression of concern and worry. Nothing came to mind though.

"I need you to go to the woods and find a mutant for me. His powers are out of control. He used to come to this school before he left to join the brotherhood but they turned him away when they found someone with the same power but stronger. Since that point though, his powers have developed and he can now produce fire as well. I called you in here because you can control fire and absorb it so you would be best to help him at this point. It also helps that you are his soul friend so he will feel a connection to you and trust you."

My eyes instantly widened and I asked, 'What do you mean he is my soul friend. How did you know?'

He didn't answer though but instead called in Kurt and told him to take me to the woods and leave straight away. Before I could ask again, Kurt bamfed us to the woods where a fire was raging. Kurt looked apprehensive to leave but I told him to follow the professor's orders and go back to the school.

Flames crackled around me and the heat started to burn my skin but I welcomed the heat. The yellow flames flickered and danced with no thought of the oxygen or the fuel they consumed. They had no appreciation of what had been given to them and no concern for what would be left after. The flames danced and leapt in the air, reaching hungrily for anything that they can consume to fuel their wrath. I closed my eyes and focused on the heat around me. I imagined myself drawing in the heat and pulling it into my body. The crackling slowly died down but the heat still sizzled under my skin. I knew it would settle soon but it felt weird but also comforting to feel it flowing just under my skin but it had taken a lot of concentration and I could feel a slight pulsing in my temples. Massaging my temples, I began to look around to try and find the boy I was meant to bring back to the school.

After about a minute, I saw a blonde haired boy sitting at the base of a tree with his head in his hands. His clothes were torn and slightly singed and charcoaled while his hair looked slightly dirty and disheveled. I observed him a bit longer before slowly walking up to him. I was just about to talk to him telepathically when I stopped in my steps. If I make even the slightest wrong move, this hole area could be in flames again within seconds. I had to be smart. That was the moment I realised that to save him, I would have to sacrifice my silence. If I spoke to him telepathically, he could freak out and use his powers on me or even run so I had to go out of my comfort zone and speak to him.

"Hey." He instantly snapped his eyes towards me and looked like he was getting ready to sprint when I raised my hands in surrender. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to help. My name is Abbie. I'm a mutant like you. I can control fire as well."

He still looked like a deer caught in headlights but it seemed to do the trick as he didn't sprint away from me. I released a breath I didn't even realise I was holding when I saw him nod slowly.

"Look, I know you don't know me and you don't trust me but I need you to put a little bit of trust in the fact I don't want to hurt you. I want to help. Trust works both ways. I'm putting trust in you just by speaking to you." He looked up at me with a confused expression so I slowly sat cross legged in front of him and told him briefly about me being mute and only talking to those that I completely trust. He looked genuinely interested in what I was saying and nodded in acknowledgment after I finished explaining.

"I can take you somewhere that will help you with your mutation and I can help you as well to learn to control it if you'd like." He just gave a small nod so I got up and put out a hand to help him up of the ground. "I won't bite. I promise." I said slightly teasingly and trying to lighten his mood. A small smile cracked onto his face but it quickly vanished when he took my hand and got up. He released my hand as soon as he was on his feet. "There is a small town about a mile east from here. We'll stay there tonight and then get going in the morning."

We walked all the way to the small town and rented a motel room. Thank god I always keep money on me. I planned to use the pay phone in the morning to call the professor to send Kurt to pick us up. We stayed silent even as we got to the 2 bed room. It wasn't until we were about to go to sleep that the boy spoke up, "John." I looked over quizzically. "That's my name. Although a lot of people call me Pyro."

"I think I'll stick with John if that's okay with you. I prefer using people's first names."
He just gave a nod and we both turned over to go to sleep before I called the school in the morning.

He was definitely a bit confused and scared when we got there but he settled in quickly after talking to the professor. Bobby and him have already had 3 arguments and that was before lunch. The professor had to get involved and explained how they are both my soul friends and will have to at least tolerate each other for my sake. Since that point, the occasional death glare has been sent between the two, but no more arguing at each other's throats.