Chapter 1: Meet Mabby Filkins

"This is where I live, in New York City, The populous city in the state of New York. There are many places and buildings like World Trade Center and Empire State Building. This ain't no Empire State of mind, girl. It consists of five boroughs and each of which is a separate county of the state of NY. The boroughs are Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, The Bronx and Staten Island. Brooklyn Bridge, Midtown Manhattan, Times Square and the Statue of Liberty are also here in this city. This city is the home of a girl who dreamed about arts, the girl who wanted to be a visual artist, the girl who lives in 505 W 37 Street with her parents on Hudson Yards. This girl is me, Mabby Filkins. My real name is Mabel and I have this nickname because it has no E and L. I'm on my way to start my career: A visual arts student in my favorite Visual Arts program in Columbia University."

Mabby Filkins, a 18-year old teenage girl, is on her way to her destination: Columbia University. She is dreaming to become a visual artist after observing some people creating paintings as a child. A orange butterfly is seen flying around as she stared at it, happily. "That's a nice butterfly." she said as she saw the bus pulling over and Mabby gets inside the vehicle to go to the university. The bus started to drive its way to 116 Street & Broadway, it drove from the Eleventh Ave before going to W 41 Street. Mabby is sitting in her seat with a 13-year old girl in her side. She saw the buildings in the street as the bus kept going to Times Square. She observed many buildings in awe as she saw some ads like GAP, Broadway musicals and stuff. "Wow." she said as the Butterfly flew in the air. The bus went to 42 Street Subway Station as some people went inside it before proceeding to 72 Street Broadway. 32 minutes later, Mabby has arrived in her destination: Columbia University. "Columbia University. This is the place." she said to herself as she got off the bus and went inside the University.

Mabby stared at the whole place in awe as she greeted her classmates. "Hi, I'm Mabby Filkins!" she said as a boy appeared riding in his skateboard, startling her. "Whoa! Nice to meet you!" she greeted him as she pulled out her list. The first thing she did was submitting portfolios online. "I submitted those perfect portfolios. I can't see the place where I need to be registered." she said to herself as a man showed up. "Oh, Hi."

"Are you here for the Center for Student Advising?" he asked her.

"Yes."

"It's right here." The man pointed to the CSA, located on 2920 Broadway.

Later, Mabby has arrived in the Center for Student Advising. Ready to have her first year, she pulled out some studying stuff from her backpack and showed them to the receptionist. "I'm Mabby. I'm here to be a Visual art major."

"Good, wait your hour." The receptionist told her as the girl nodded in agreement.

After being told to wait for her hour, the time passed as Mabby has left the CSA. She is a visual arts major and visual arts student as she goes to Furnald Hall, who is close to the Visual Arts Program. "My new home, Furnald Hall." She said in her thoughts as she narrated. "A student dorm where students live before class. You know, I started to wonder if my roommate is also a art major."

In the lobby, Mabby is given a key for Room 208, she is being told that she won't lose it as she put it in her pocket. "I'm gonna have a roommate who is a visual arts student." she said as she carried her backpack and goes to the elevator, which takes her to the second floor. When the elevator opened, Mabby has left it as she sees the second floor of the hall. The hall has male and female rooms as she sees some male students talking to each other and some female students talking to each other as well. Four of them are shown arguing to each other.

"I need to get inside my room, girls. Please, I beg you!" said the blonde-haired girl.

"Uh-uh! This is my room now, bitch. I came first!" said the orange-haired girl. "My room is no place for you!"

"Yeah!" said Minerva.

"That's right!" said Isabel. "Hey, Arzella, lift her shirt."

Arzella nodded as she lifted the blonde girl's shirt, revealing her bra underneath as she and her friend laughed at her. "You love it!" she said as she goes to her room 207 that the blonde was supposed to get inside while Isabel and Minerva goes to the rooms 205 and 206.

 "You love it!" she said as she goes to her room 207 that the blonde was supposed to get inside while Isabel and Minerva goes to the rooms 205 and 206

"Hey, are you OK?" Mabby comforted her as she lowered the shirt down. "What's wrong?"

"Those mean girls lifted my shirt." the blonde girl explained. "I'm Lydia Kerr, visual arts major."

"I'm Mabby Filkins. I'm a visual arts major too."

"Mabby Filkins?"

"Yep. I came here to look for a roommate in room 208." Mabby pulled out the keys from her jacket pocket.

"Well, you do. But, I'm your roommate." Lydia sighed deeply as she and her new friend goes inside the room 208. After getting inside the room, the two girls saw their room with their eyes widened. "I wish somebody would organize this room for me."

"Don't worry, Lydia. We can put our stuff, including our pajamas." said Mabby as she pulled out her student ID. "I always dreamed to be a visual artist."

Moments later, the room 208 was organized. Mabby has her pajamas, books, plush toys and Lydia has hers, except for her pajamas. "There we go. All done."

"My stepmother Rita told me to put my pajamas in my backpack, but I forgot." Lydia couldn't help but to smile shyly. "Are you feeling nervous?"

"I'm not." said Mabby as she approached the window. "This is gonna be great. This is the best day of my life, my life."