Chapter 5: Outside the school of Visual Arts

At night, Back to Furnald Hall, Mabby is reading a book which says: "Portrait Sculpting: Anatomy & Expressions in Clay" on her bed. She is still studying while Lydia is also reading a Meaning in the Visual Arts book. They are in the same room, quietly. "When the head is rotated to one side, the sternal head of the opposite sternocleidomastoid becomes very visible and almost vertical. The clavicular head is also often visible." Mabby read as she hears a phone call from Kate. "I answer." she said as she picked up her phone and answered it. "Hello? Who is it?"

"It's Kate Broughton, the runaway. Remember me?" said Kate.

"Oh, hi, Kate!"

"Mabby, I've been thinking. What if we go on a tour around NY?" Kate asked her. She is lying on a old gurney, wearing her pajamas consisting of a white sleeveless shirt with a orange butterfly on it and green shorts with white dots on it. "Anyway, where are you?"

"I'm on Columbia university. Reading." Mabby replied. "I'm fine."

"Tomorrow, we'll go on a tour together. You and I, around the city."

"But, Kate. It's a school night."

"I know. I never went to school for years. Tomorrow morning, we'll go."

Mabby sighed deeply as she reluctantly accepted. "OK. I will."

"Fuck yeah, girl! We'll see you tomorrow morning! Bye!" Kate turned off the call.

"God...." Mabby said to herself as she put her phone in the table before Arzella, Isabel and Minerva entered in the room 208. "Hey, what are you girls doing here?!"

"We came to see you in your room, Mabel." Arzella told her as she steals the book that Lydia is reading. "Sorry, no reading for you."

"Arzella!" Lydia scolded as Isabel lifted her shirt again.

"Minerva, lift the asshole's shirt." Isabel told Minerva as she nodded.

"Nailed it!" Minerva lifted Mabby's shirt, revealing her periwinkle bra. "Ha-ha-ha! Look at you!"

Mabby lowered her shirt as well as Lydia's. "Get out of my room, you mean sluts! Out! Out! Or I'm gonna tell the Dean!" she told the three mean girls to leave as she shoved them out of the room, closing the door behind them. "Cunts..." she said to herself. "They are so damn stupid!"

The next day began with excitement as the students went to School of Visual Arts while others goes to the schools in the university. Mabby is creating a painting of the statue of Liberty. Arzella is painting a obscene version of the statue with nipples on its breasts and a pussy on it. "Hee-hee-hee-hee. This statue is a slut."

"Arzella! No swearing!" Mabby scolded her. "Today's the day where Kate will take me on a tour."

"What's the matter with swearing?" said a boy.

When the students are painting, Kate appeared outside and tells Mabby to go outside. "Psst! Mabby! Come on!"

"Hang on!" she said as she finished painting the statue as she left her post to go outside. She has left the School of Visual Arts where she sees Kate carrying her bicycle. "Hey."

"Hey. I wander around the city with my bicycle." Kate explained.

"Wow. You have a tandem bicycle."

"Yeah! I used to ride with my mom when I was 10 years old. Before she and my dad died."

"And then what happened?"

"Some people told me that I was going to be under the care of some guardians, but, I escaped, I took all the stuff and I started to live in my hideout until I became older." Kate told her. "Anyway, let's go."

"Yeah. Let's go." Mabby smiled.

"The runaway Kate told me to go outside. Arzella cursed during the painting class and no one told her about saying the F-word or S-word. But, girl, I'm pretty sure that girl will take me around the city."

Later on, the two girls has left Columbia University in order to go on a tour around the city of New York. They are riding in the same bicycle as they went to Columbus Avenue and Central Park. They arrive at Whole Foods Market where Kate stole food to survive every day. "This is where I find food here." she said.

"God! Are you a thief?" Mabby asked her.

"No, hell no. I find food every day to eat." Kate went inside the market, taking Mabby with her as she showed her the fruit section. "I eat apples every day."

"You steal food to survive?"

"Of course, I use apples when I feel starving."

The duo left Whole Foods Market in order to go to the next location: Washington Square Park. They see the Washington Square Fountain as they stared at it in awe. "Whoa...Washington Square Fountain." said Mabby as she sees Kate taking off her sneakers. "Kate, I don't think it's a-"

"Come on!" Kate grabbed her as Mabby quickly removes her sneakers and socks. The girls, now barefoot, and their pant legs rolled up to avoid contact to the water, started to have fun around the fountain. They splashed each other, laughing happily as they jumped around the water. "This is fun, is it?"

"Yeah, girl!"

Then, the girls arrive at Central Park as they walked around the park, pointing at two statues of Christopher Columbus and Daniel Webster as they kept walking. Mabby and Kate arrived near the sculpture of Group of Bears. "Wow! The Bears!"

"Oh, you saw the bears." said Kate as she pulled out her phone to take a selfie. "Let's take a selfie!"

"Hell yeah!"

The girls started to take some photos of themselves starting with the scultpure of the Group of Bears, followed by the King Jagiello Monument and the Alice in Wonderland statue, this time without the yellow jacket and the green plaid shirt on.

 "Let's take a selfie!""Hell yeah!"The girls started to take some photos of themselves starting with the scultpure of the Group of Bears, followed by the King Jagiello Monument and the Alice in Wonderland statue, this time without the yellow jacke...

"This is awesome, Kate! I never met a street girl who is a runaway!" Mabby exclaimed with excitement.

"Street girl and Runaway, Mabby." said Kate as she showed the photos of herself and Mabby. "There's more things to do!"

Mabby and Kate smiled at each other as they left Central Park in the bicycle. They kept riding together as they go to the First Avenue before going to the Allen Street. They arrive at Forsyth Street where they see the Manhattan Bridge. The girls observed it with fascination as they kept staring. Later, they arrive on Rockefeller Center in Rockefeller Plaza as they observe some skaters skating in the ice rink. Sometime later, the duo has left Rockefeller Center as they go to the Gapstow Bridge in Central Park as they stared at each other lovingly.

"This is the best moment of my life, Kate."

"Yeah, Mabby. The best moment of our lives."