Chapter 1: The Opportunity

Introduction

This story is part of a pair of companion stories. This means that another Wattpad author will be writing a story set in the same universe at the same time. We will each be telling a different perspective of the same events! The author who will be joining me on this concept is none other than the talented @__highflying! (Author of Connections).

My story will follow Sebastian Vettel's side of things, while @__highflying's story will follow Daniel Ricciardo's side. We will do our best to make each story stand up on its own, so that you don't have to read both if you don't want to. However, you will be privy to far more information and find out the conclusions of various cliffhangers sooner if you read both stories!

My half of the story begins first, as it starts a little earlier than @__highflying's. But in a few weeks, she will begin her side of the story and our plots will begin to intertwine and cover the same events. I will update you when she begins and supply the link so that you can follow her side of the story too.

For those who have read Fifth Light, please note that this story is a brand new, alternate universe where the events of Fifth Light never happened. You will recognise some of the cast from Fifth Light making appearances in this story however.

---

Lifeline; noun.

A thing on which someone or something depends or which provides a means of escape from a difficult situation.

---

There were four very good reasons why Tully Huovinen could never fall in love with Sebastian Vettel.

1. He had a long term girlfriend, of seven years no less.

2. He was a world famous, four-time Formula 1 World Champion whose life was constantly scrutinised in every way possible.

3. She was a health professional, and he was her employer.

4. It would make all of those remedial massages really damn awkward.

The thing about life though, is that it has the ability to throw you a curveball that you can't possibly forsee, something that throws all of that carefully constructed logic and reasoning right out the window.

---

December 4th, 2013

"Heikki is leaving."

"No! Really? But why?" Hayley replied in surprise. She set down her mug of coffee on the kitchen bench and wandered over to the breakfast table.

"Being a personal trainer was never his end goal. He's been offered a teaching job." Sebastian explained glumly.

He looked out the window and gazed across the crystal clear lake outside their Swiss home. The water was so still and silent that it looked like a mirror, reflecting the blue sky and swirling grey clouds above it.

"But you were working so well together." Hayley pouted, leaning over the back of Sebastian's chair and running her palms down his chest slowly.

"Mmh." Sebastian grunted before turning his head to kiss her cheek. Half of his mind was focused on the whole personal trainer issue while the other half had deviated to wondering if her hands were going to stop at his belt.

"So what's the plan?" Hayley asked, smiling as his lips trailed over her cheek and down past her jaw line. Sebastian could feel her fingers dipping beneath his belt in response.

"Heikki recommended his sister." Sebastian mumbled against her skin, feeling his hips lifting instinctively as Hayley's warm fingers slipped down even further. He continued his path down her neck with increasing enthusiasm.