03. It's A Trick

September 10th, 2014Avengers Tower, New York City

Avengers Tower, New York City

Mary looks over at the team as they walk in from the landing pad. They had just gotten back from a raiding of a Hydra base. The team unanimously agreed that Mary would stay home at the Tower where she and the baby would be safe.

Mary notices Bruce wearing his headphones, smiling at him slightly as she walks over to him, wrapping her arms around him gingerly due to her friend being on edge.

"Code Green?" She asks him as Bruce slowly returns the gesture by hugging her back, nodding. "You did good, Bruce. Don't doubt yourself or feel guilty."

The scientist sighs, "They were still people, Mary. They may have chosen the wrong side, but they were still people." He says quietly to his friend.

Mary pulls away, looking at him, "I know, but you have to remember that if you let them, they would've killed everyone without a second thought." He reminds him, then looks at Tony, "No scepter?" She asks.

The godson shakes his head, grabbing a cookie off the tray that had come out of the oven recently due to Mary needing to be doing something to take her mind off the fact that her family was away risking their lives.

"No, no scepter at this base, but we found four more bases. So we'll be sending small groups of us to check those out." Tony says, flinching at the temperature of the baked good in his hand.

Mary hesitates, her hands resting on her now semi prominent baby bump. She had grown fond of showing her bump, she was proud of it. So she would end up wearing t-shirts and tank tops that would show it off more than normal, "Smaller groups?" She asks, looking at the group, "You sure that's safe?"

Her brother nods, stepping up to put his hand on the small of her back, "They're small bases, we'll be done with them in no time." He says to reassure his sister, she was worried about them more than normal, but the team didn't mind it one bit. They enjoyed someone caring about them and worrying for them. It told the group that they had someone that loved them for who they are. And Mary Barnes was that person.

"Everything will be fine, Shorty." Clint says, sitting down on a stool at the island in the kitchen, munching on a cookie, "You focus on the baby and being the best damn doctor in the country." He says, causing the girl to smile.

"Thanks, Arrow." Mary replies, "And world, thank you very much." She quips, causing the team to laugh. During the time she spent serving the people of New York as a doctor, she had become one of the world's renowned doctors. Her family was proud of the accomplishment she achieved due to her skill and passion for it. Her apprentice, Stephen Strange was also one of the world's renowned surgeons. Mary had contacted her apprentice and friend when she realized she was pregnant. The hazel eyed doctor wanted her friend to be her doctor when the time came for the baby to be born.