22. Let them try

She has no words for Tony as he shifts onto his knees

She has no words for Tony as he shifts onto his knees. The despair clear as day in both of their eyes. She could see the guilt in his eyes, but also the anger, the pure frustration and rage. She had to be cautious, but this was her son. He wouldn't hurt her. No matter what they had been through.

"Save your pity party for someone who cares." Tony snaps bitterly.

"I'm not here to pity you." Mary responds, her son's eyes looking up at her. "I'm here to ask why." She asks as she bends down, getting onto her knees slowly to be eye level with her son.

Tony scoffs, looking away from his mom. The guilt eating away at him for what he's caused. "Why? You're really here, after everything that's happened. You're here to ask why."

Mary nods slowly, "No matter what happened. You will always be my son, Tony. But that doesn't negate the fact that you tried to kill my brother and husband."

"He killed my parents." Tony snaps.

"The Winter Soldier killed Howard and Maria. Not James." Mary snaps back in her husband's defense. She was going to defend her husband until she was no longer on this Earth. She knew her husband felt every action he had done. But he also regretted every single one. Each trigger pull, each cut of the knife. He felt it all inside of him.

"It was still him." He snaps once more, neither party was going to convince the other and they both knew that. "It was still his hand that wrapped around my Mother's throat and killed her."

"He was being controlled by Hydra, Tony. You may not see it now, but that's the truth. What would you say if it was me, that i was the one being controlled by Hydra?" Mary asks. Asking her son to put her in Bucky's place. To try and see if he could see it clearer.

But Tony doesn't answer. And Mary knows no more needs to be said. She stands back onto her feet, her back screaming at her to stop moving but she still has to meet her brother, daughter and husband back at the quinjet. She looks back over her shoulder, seeing her son still on the ground, "I love you, T." She mumbles, "To the moon and back." She adds before leaving the room.

" She adds before leaving the room