29. He's One of Ours

It was early in the afternoon when Mary received a message on her beads from Shuri saying she wanted help with Bucky's progression

It was early in the afternoon when Mary received a message on her beads from Shuri saying she wanted help with Bucky's progression. It had only been a month or so since he went under and the princess and Evelyn had already made great strides in his mind. It gave the wife hope that her husband would be free from the torment of the trigger words in his mind. She also had hope that he wouldn't miss any pregnancy milestones if he were to wake up soon.

"You said he could wake up soon?" Mary asks Shuri as she tinkers with her own weapons she was making for herself, panther gauntlets. The two were quietly talking about different things after they had finished up in Bucky's room.

Shuri nodded, "I believe so. I can't give an exact date, you know that." The princess says with a small smile seeing the hopeful look on Mary's face, "But I'm hoping before you enter the third trimester of your pregnancy."

Mary grins at her friend, "I'm still in the first trimester, but if he could be here for the birth.." she trails off with a wistful look on her face as she hovers her hands over her stomach.

"I will do all that i can. Evelyn has been a big help." Shuri says with a smile as she continues to tinker with the wires of one of her gauntlets.

"Alright, where am I?" A familiar voice causes both women to jump.

The two turn around to see Ross standing adjacent to where he was lying before. Mary's eyes widen in shock as a wide smile appears on her face. "Don't scare me like that, colonizer!" Shuri states before Mary can say anything, causing the doctor to laugh under her breath

Mary can see the confusion on his face as he looks at Mary longer than she anticipated, then his eyes move over to Shuri, "Colo- what? My name is Everett." He introduces himself to Shuri.

"Yes, I know. Everett Ross, former Air Force pilot and now CIA." Shuri states, "Mary told me other things that make me not like you so much." She adds with a shrug.

Mary chuckles, "But he saved mine and my baby's life." She reminds Shuri who nods.

"So we are putting what you did in Germany behind us." The princess comments.

Ross hesitates, nodding, "Right.." He mumbles. Mary watches the agent look around the lab in awe then looks back at the two women, "Okay, is this Wakanda?"

"No, it's Kansas." Shuri quips.

Ross looks at Mary and she nods, confirming his suspicions about where he was. "How long ago was Korea?" He asks both of them.

"Yesterday." Mary answers. "You're healing nicely."

"I don't think so.. Bullet wounds don't just magically heal overnight." Ross states in disbelief, he knew Mary was skilled but not even she could accomplish complete and total recovery over the course of one night.

Shuri chuckles as she looks at Mary, "They do here. Especially with Doctor Barnes taking command. And it's not by magic, by technology."

Mary shrugs, smiling softly, "I wasn't going to let you die, Everett. You might have caused rifts in my family during Germany but i think you've made up for some of it by taking that bullet for me."