04. Their Special Spot

January 1st, 2015 Brooklyn, New York

January 1st, 2015
Brooklyn, New York

Mary cradles her now very prominent baby bump in the freshly fallen snow as she stands in the graveyard where her husband's gravestone laid. She's one month away from her due date of February 18th, the mother was excited but also scared. She hadn't felt the baby move recently, which was a concern for her, but Stephen said everything was going according to plan. So she didn't think much on it. Mary had also learned of the baby's gender but didn't tell the team, wanting them to be surprised while she and Stephen were the only two people in the know.

So there she stood, in front of her husband's gravestone, even though he was alive. Mary was surrounded by her family. They all made the trip out to Brooklyn to be there for their family member on her wedding anniversary.

Steve stood next to his sister, his arm wrapping around her, keeping her warm as she placed red roses onto Bucky's grave, "How many years is this now?" He asks his sister.

His sister smiles, standing back up with the help of her brother, her giant stomach now making it nearly impossible for her do bend down without needing help up. She fixed her sweater and scarf as she looked at the grave once more before turning to see her family. Tony, Natasha, Clint, Bruce, Thor and even Stephen had made it out for his mentor and friend.

"Exactly seventy years this year." Mary states proudly, glancing back at the grave, "This year is even more special besides being our platinum anniversary.. it's because he's alive." She murmurs, her gloved hands wiping her hazel eyes as she begins to cry, "He's alive, i could care less if he was with me. Obviously i want him to be here, but knowing he's actually alive is enough for me."

Tony smiles, pulling his godmother into a hug carefully, "Happy anniversary, Mama Ree." He tells her, "Is there anything else you wanted to do besides this?"

Mary thinks, shifting her footing on the snowy ground, looking at everyone, "There is one place i'd like to go, but i'd like to do it alone if that's okay." She says, looking at all of them.

Her family eye her carefully, Stephen is cautious, she technically could go into labor and he wanted to be near her just in case that happened.

"Please? I'll have Happy drive me to and from." The mother pleads, looking between her brother and godson.

Tony nods begrudgingly, "Alright. But only if Happy is escorting you." He says while he crossing his arms. The brother is still skeptical, looking his sister over.

"Where are you going to go?" Steve asks her.

"My special spot." Mary replies. Steve's blue eyes widen, then he smiles softly at her, knowing what she means. He nods in agreement, hugging her as she says her goodbyes to everyone.

Mary makes her way up to Happy at the cars, she smiles at him, "Happy, i need you to drive me somewhere." She tells the man, "Just me, Tony and everyone else will meet us back at the Tower." She explains.