23. Did he freeze?

The sound of light knocking on a door awoken the expectant mother from her slumber

The sound of light knocking on a door awoken the expectant mother from her slumber. Her hazel eyes opened to the Wakandan landscape outside her open balcony. She could hear the goats in the distance and the bustling city below. She had been sleeping in later because she was tired more than normal, but she knew it was due to the baby she was carrying inside of her. Her heart fluttered at the thought of another child on the way for her and her husband. But there was also a looming pit of despair inside of her, the fear of losing another baby. Another still born. She had lost Winnie and it nearly broke her, no, it did break her, but she picked up the pieces of herself with the help of her precious family. Her precious team. A team that was no longer a team.

Mary rubbed her eyes as she sat up on her bed in her room littered with African designs and decor. The room that would remain hers for the foreseeable future. Her room in the Golden City, the Palace. Never in her ninety-eight years of existence did she ver picture herself living in a palace filled with royalty. Especially not in the most technological country in the world. The country of Wakanda. It had been two weeks since her husband, James Buchanan Barnes, went back under cryosleep to have the Winter Solider trigger words removed from his mind. Two weeks since her daughter, her precious Becca, left to return to Queens, New York. And one week since her brother left with his new team to fight the good fight from the shadows.

Mary looked over at her reflection in the stand mirror beside her dresser. Her delicate hand moved from her stomach to her hair. No longer did Mary adorn brunette hair, now she wears dyed hair. She had dyed it burgundy with the help of one Princess and Queen Mother. They had also cut her hair to barely reach her shoulders. The royal family and Mary knew that if she wished to ever leave Wakanda, she would be recognized instantly. So to help conceal her identity, she dyed it. No longer was Doctor Elizabeth Bryne her own person, the world now knew that Mary Rogers-Barnes never died, that she had faked her death and taken up the names of her middle name and her mother's maiden name to become someone new.

More knocking, louder this time, stirred Mary from her thoughts. She turned her head to look at the door, grabbing a robe from the edge of her king sized bed. She didn't need that much space for just herself in her mind, but T'Challa wanted nothing but the best for his friend and soon to be advisor of the outside world. "Yes?" She called out, stifling a yawn as she stretched her arms out, trying to rid her body of tiredness.

"Brother will be back soon with Nakia." A Wakandan accented voice called out from the other side of the door. Mary knew who the voice belonged too. And she opened the door to meet the chocolate brown eyes of the Princess of Wakanda, Shuri Udaku. "You should be with Mother and I when we meet them."

Mary nods, "Advisor duties, right?" She asks as Shuri walks into Mary room and begins going through the vast closet full of clothes Shuri had supplied Mary with. The princess began pulling garments out and setting them on the bed.

"Yes, but also because i think you and Nakia would get along well." Shuri responds, she moves to go back into the closet but Mary stops the sixteen year old genius. She guides the princess into the chair in front of her vanity and begins to separate Shuri's braids into two sections, pulling out bobby pins from a drawer on the vanity. Shuri smiles as she closes her eyes, letting Mary do what she wanted to her hair.