I promise I'm fine

After a few dates in Canada, the band was back in the United States, Washington this time. Lindsey suggested having lunch somewhere other than the hotel suite or a dressing room, Stevie agreed to the idea without much convincing and they were enjoying their free hours before the show in some Italian restaurant. They weren’t bothered that much by people, but more than a handful still walked up to them and expressed their admiration. Lindsey would get annoyed every time while Stevie shushed him and accepted fans’ love with a smile.

They had finished eating and were now on their way back to the hotel. They didn’t rush, instead taking their time to enjoy each other’s company as they walked back hand in hand. Stevie was unusally quiet and Lindsey sensed something was wrong. He knew more or less, but he still asked.

"What's on your mind, Steves?"

"Sara." 

"Please, stop it. You're worrying without a reason now. I get it, what happened was horrible, but we talked to her and she seems fine."

"Don't forget she can be a pretty great actress."

"I wonder where she gets that from?" Lindsey tried to lighten up the mood. 

"I have to hear her voice, I need a constant reminder she's ok."

"You want me to call her?" Stevie nodded and he dialed the number. 

'Hello?'

'Sweetheart, hi. It's mom.'

'I haven't forgotten how your voice sounds, you know...'

'How are you, Sara?'

'I'm ok, mom. You should stop worrying, I'm honestly fine.'

'You don't sound like it.'

'Because I'm missing you and dad and I'm not home.'

'Are you taken good care of?'

'You know I am. Melinda is the most amazing lady, she's not a housekeeper anymore, Andrew made her my nanny I think. She's always by my side.'

'Well, you know that Andrew cares about you very much.'

'And I couldn't be more thankful. Still, I would prefer being with you and dad.'

'I'm sorry we can't be with you, baby.'

'I'll live.'

'Sweetheart, is there something you want to say to me? You know I feel it.'

'Yeah and you also keep saying you're not a witch.'

'Hey!' 

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.' Sara quickly added laughing, which made Stevie feel much better. 'But... I just... you and dad have always been so proud of me for god knows what reason and I did something terrible and I think that you must be very disappointed in me and I hate that.'

'Oh, baby... No, no we're not. You were wrong, that's right, but we love you no matter what. As long as you are ok and safe at all times, we're happy.'

'You mean it?'

'Absolutely.'

'Well, fine. I love you mom, so much.. Tell dad that too.'

'I will.'

'Right, I'm going to hang up now because I will start crying.'

'Bye, I hope we get to see you soon.'

'I do too. Bye now!'

Stevie gave the mobile phone back to Lindsey. "Well?"

"She does seem to be ok."

"See? I told you. Steph, she's strong, she's just like you. She'll be the same Sara who annoys the crap out of you in no time."

She smiled, appreciating his encouraging words. "You're right, I know you are. Ok, I'll stop overthinking it all now."

"Please, do." He put his arm around her shoulders and kissed the top of her head.

~

Stevie came out of the bathroom after having a shower and her usual nightly routine. She found Lindsey already on his side, turned away from her. This started happening more and more often. It had also been over a week since they last were intimate. If she didn't know better, she would think he was getting bored of her. But she had also started noticing small changes in Lindsey's behaviour. He wasn't as energetic at shows, he tried to rest as much as possible and he was having headaches almost evey day. 

She got under the covers and switched off the bedside lamp. Stevie cuddled close to him, putting her arm around his middle, she rested her chin on his shoulder. He let out a sound she didn't understand and his facial expression made her think he was in pain.

"Linds?" She squeezed his biceps gently. "Lindsey, honey?"

"What? What's wrong?" He jumped a little and rolled onto his back.

"I was about to ask you that..."

"What do you mean?"

"Lindsey... I know you'll tell me your fine, but are you really? Do you feel ok?"

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I?"

"You've been acting a little differently lately and you're having these headaches and you're always tired. I'm worried about you. We haven't even had sex for days, which is so unlike you."

He stroked her hair and tried to calm her down. "I'm fine, baby. I apologize for not taking care of you in that way lately, but that's just because I've been really stressed out and I'm tired because of the tour, the divorce is on my mind too and then this whole thing with Sara, this... Andrew guy... I just have a lot on my mind, but I promise I'm absolutely fine."

"I miss you. You've been quite distant the last couple of days."

"Quit worrying, that's what you seem to be doing the best." Lindsey joked and got closer to kiss her. "You should get some sleep. I love you."

"Love you too." They kissed once more and Lindsey fell asleep right away while Stevie stayed awake, thinking that he was surely hiding something from her.