Flip the coin

There was a lot of names for what I was, 'goddess of song', 'the devil's wife', 'the death bringer', 'The serenader'. Last one was true, for me anyway. Everyone had a song to sing but mine just happened to be a sad song written by my own kind and their stupid rules. I pushed open the door to the Crocodile bar where Wednesday said we should meet.

Two men seemed to be fighting but I just guessed they were drunk and took an empty seat next to my summoner "Your looking well, Lorelyn" I smiled "you know I despise small talk, but for once I can say you look like you're in your better days" his finger rose lazily to point at the two fighters "would you mind? They're going on longer than I hoped for" I stood from my chair and whistled hard "I knew you people were selfish but not to this extent" they both stopped chuckled lightly before the shorter man spoke "I'm not gonna hit a woman" I threw my jacket onto the seat "then I guess this won't be a fair fight"

With a bottle in both my hands, I smashed it on both of their skulls as I calmly walked towards them "might want to reconsider that choice" the taller one went to pin me to the bar but I slammed his head on the surface instead. I think Wednesday thought I was going to sing to get them to stop but where's the fun in that? I was suddenly pinned to the taller one's chest allowing me to kick his friend with both legs but then I was stuck with the redhead. One of his hands was wrapped around my throat while one of mine grasped around for another bottle to smash against him, it seemed to be awhile before I found a shard of glass which I instantly drove into his thigh causing his hands to release from my throat.

I once again smashed both their faces into the bar "still won't hit a girl?" I heard him groan, thankfully they'd never know my real name. All the people who know me, know me as 'Bailey'. The only reason Wednesday knows 'Lorelyn' is because he just so happens to be my godfather and since my parents are dead...he's taken up his role. "That's enough, Bailey" I stared at the man for a few seconds before throwing the men to the floor and taking me seat back. "I asked you to stop the fight, not join it" he started to examine my bruised knuckles as if I was still a small child "I'm stubborn not deaf" I took my knuckles out of his hand gently as the men joined us

"she's with you?!" I gave an eye roll "Bailey is my god daughter, she's also like both of you" my eyes scanned the other occupants of the room as the men talked. I managed to catch the names of the two who were 'Shadow Moon' and 'Mad Sweeney' or as I liked to call him 'lucky charms man'. My eyes were too locked on the other siren in to notice them trying to get my attention "my dear?" Wednesday started tapping my wrist to get my attention "what?" Even to me, my voice sounded rough and hostile "you weren't listening were you?" I swallowed my hostility "nope" I felt him roll his eyes then let them follow where mine were pinned "for gods sake! You two are still at it?!" His volume drew me away from my target "I've tried but she keeps following me! You know why!"

I realised it wasn't his fault and he had every right to be angry "I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me"  Sweeney's eyes narrowed at me "quite hostile aren't ya?" I tilted my head at him "you're not exactly a charmer yourself" I heard Wednesday hiss my name as the redhead smiled "I'm sorry" all I wanted to do was get up and leave, maybe move town? Maybe to another planet? I was always on the run to keep people safe but Wednesday always brought me back, and it was always for a stupid reason.

"you and the leprechaun are going on a little road trip for Laura, she was your friend after all" I leaned forward "wait?! You're saying I'm gonna be stuck in the car with lucky charms here?! For days?! I guess I could always kill him if I get bored?" The god slammed his hand down on the table "first rule, no killing anyone!" I rolled my eyes "we established Laura was dead" my eyes were on the table "well go check she's not dead?" I sighed and got up from my chair then pacing back and forth "if I do this, can you stop calling me back here?" He shrugged "oh no your doing it anyway, as my god daughter you have to." I kicked the wall and leaned on my chair "when do we leave?" I eyed the leprechaun "whenever you want 'darling'"

I bit my cheek at the nickname and contemplated "I'll be back" I knew Wednesday would make one of the men follow me but that's why as soon as I left the building, I picked up the pace towards my apartment. The second I was in, I locked the door behind me before slipping a few vials of salt water and a knife into my pant lining just in case Sweeney needed to 'disappear'. I also packed a small bag of clothes and other sanitary stuff. When someone knocked on my door, I unlocked it before going to the sink cleaning my knuckles with the bag on the bed.

As it swung open, the leprechaun stepped inside examining the decorations "I'm not going to kill someone I know is coming Sweeney, it's bad luck...but then you'd know all about that wouldn't you?" My fingers scrubbed at my hands roughly "you alright?" I gave up on my bloodied knuckles and wiped them on a towel "I'm fine. It's just every single time Wednesday can't solve a problem, he calls on me like I'm some damn dog playing fetch!" I threw the towel across the room in annoyance before running my hands through my hair "anyway, how do you feel about getting into a car with someone you know nothing about?"

He tossed me my jacket that I'd forgotten at the bar and I slid it over my arms "well when ya put it like that..." I caught onto what he was saying " I doubt anything is gonna happen in a cramped space, with you...and me" now we were just toying with each other, I decided to take it a step forward and bite my lip slightly. I didn't miss him staring "it's a bad idea right?" He cleared his throat "right" I plucked up my bag and let him follow me out the door towards 'his' car.