Childish games

Later that night
I paced back and forth while wiping the blood off my face with baby wipes as I glared at the book. Oh how I wanted to read every word on those pages but I knew once I did, there was no going back. Inside those leather covers were the man's truth of a cheater and player that was once my husband, the man I took a stupid vow for, and he let me. I'd already told the others that I was back and that 'business' was 'taken care of'.

Laura threw open the door but stopped when she saw me trying to clean my face of all evidence "who's blood is that?" I continued as if she hadn't noticed "the person I had 'business' with, or people" I smiled innocently standing in front of the book "I heard you met Ruby" I heard muttering "she may not know me, but I 'know' her" they both started packing up "Lorelyn, answer me honestly" she made me sit on the bed "did you eat someone?"

"Would you believe me if I said 'no'?" She sighed "how many?" I leaned away from her "two...and a half? Maybe? I kinda lost count after the first one?" I saw Sweeney facing the corner "Fuck!" Laura nodded, packed her things and waited outside "I'm sorry. it's not like I planned it" honestly, I was a little scared of how the leprechaun was about to act. I'd seen the way he fought and yes I could handle him but I didn't want to have to.

"What?!" It sounded like he didn't understand but I couldn't tell "I went to get rid of an object linked to Mark, sirens showed up, a few gave me no choice but I-I tried, I really did! I'm sorry!" I wanted to tell him not to hurt me but part of me thought he'd leave me. I stood from the bed but didn't know what to do so I fiddled with my fingers avoiding eye contact "I thought we agreed no sacrificing yourself?" I nodded "mhm...wait, your not mad?" His eyes locked with mine for a brief second as I mutter another apology "don't push your luck" I shoved all my stuff back in a bag that originally was unpacked by Laura and clutched the book to my chest.

I made my way to the car and got into the backseat not bothering to wait for the others. I started reading the book and the truth came to surface, he never thought of me as his wife...I was his property. He used me for money and my voice, he was planning to rip the baby from me as soon as it was born, it was never 'my' baby.

A few tears came to surface as the two joined me in the car "Lore, what is that?" I cleared my throat laying it down for a second to talk "titanic, you know I'm an emotional person when it comes to books" I could tell she didn't believe me but it ...

A few tears came to surface as the two joined me in the car "Lore, what is that?" I cleared my throat laying it down for a second to talk "titanic, you know I'm an emotional person when it comes to books" I could tell she didn't believe me but it kept her off my case "who gave it to you?" I shrugged "I went to a library, an associate recommended it to me" the plan was to stop overnight in a sort of service station. I kept reading but Sweeney's eyes kept glancing at me in the mirror.

The guilt was honestly getting to me, i was considering drowning myself just so I didn't have to deal with this anymore. Mark's words hurt more as I got further on into my pregnancy, it was clear he didn't care for me at all except for the baby and my songs, my heart ached and twisted at the idea I ever loved this man yet married him or carried his child. Now a slither of me was happy the baby was taken from me. I never told anyone but at one of medical examinations, they told me the gender of my baby, I was going to have a little girl whom I would've named 'Elizabeth'.

After a while; Laura wanted to see what I was reading "hey, lore can I take a look at that?" I straightened up and wiped my tears away "Shadow said you've already read titanic?" She gave a small chuckle "right, forgot about that" I didn't speak another word for the rest of the journey but when we parked up, I saw a little campfire where I sat down and rested the book down by my feet to come to terms with what I've learned as I hummed a gentle song to myself.

"Mind if I take a look?" I tiredly put the book into the leprechaun's hands as he started to flick through the pages "I'd forgotten how bad it was" his thumb gently rubbed my cheek "it's time to remember now" I half shook my head and half nodded "...

"Mind if I take a look?" I tiredly put the book into the leprechaun's hands as he started to flick through the pages "I'd forgotten how bad it was" his thumb gently rubbed my cheek "it's time to remember now" I half shook my head and half nodded "I've spilled enough tears for that bastard and his witch" he scoffed at my attempt of bad language "I am sorry for eating those people, I'll never do it again" he put the book down and cupped my cheeks "you won't stop apologising will ya?" I shook my head "it's a habit" even though I'd eaten people today, he pressed his lips to mine, he tasted slightly of beer and cigarettes but mainly a kind of earthy rural flavour. This was the man I was happy with.

"If it helps, the sirens won't be after us anymore" he narrowed his eyes exhausted and smile at my coyness " 'business' " I nodded "the book" I leaned my head on his shoulder "I should've just walked away" I heard him hum in agreement as he sipped his beer "you realise we're gonna have ask the big question at some point, right?" It was more a grunt this time but it was still affirmative. I completely missed Laura picking up the book and skimming each page "Lore, this isn't titanic. When did he write this?" I shrugged lightly "page 1-50 is when we met, 50-102 is up til marriage and the rest is when I was carrying his baby"

She looked horrified "So he's been cheating on you, and all the other fucked up shit before you were even wed?" I gave an confirming moan "and I played straight into his trap" she motioned for Sweeney to give us a moment alone as I lifted my head from his shoulder "He's coming for me" she took the seat next to me "so what's your plan?" I sighed "keep running maybe? I could move back to Greece? Or Australia? I don't know Laura, I liked it better when I thought he was dead and not coming back" her hand took mine, we'd been best friends for so long, it felt like I'd known her my whole life and now part of that life was a lie.

"You could stay with me and shadow?" I shook my head "I kinda beat both him and lucky charms in a bar brawl, wouldn't be right" avoiding eye contact with Laura was like trying to win a running race while paralysed without a wheelchair. It was hopeless "Hey. You will never get caught" I shuffled my body to face her.

"But what if I do? I can live like that again" she brought me into her arms "ginger minge and I won't let that happen

"But what if I do? I can live like that again" she brought me into her arms "ginger minge and I won't let that happen...ever!" I smiled at the small circle of friends I had these days. She pushed me once gently "go get some sleep before I duck tape you to the car" I stood lazily chuckling and made my way to the motel room lucky charms had booked when we got here. I saw him in bed and snuggled in the available space that there was, his arm slowly came around me holding me to his chest. With him, I felt all the things a woman should feel with a man she loves...safe,warm and valued.