Chapter 12: BASIC

Peter's Pov:

Bob held Mike and I against the wall to stop us from squirming. The alarms started going off, yellow lights flashing. "What the hell?" Bob mumbled. "We're too late" I said. "What?" Bob asked. "We're too late!" Mike yelled and ran back into Will's room with Bob and I following. "What's going on?" Joyce asked us. "We're under attack" I told her.

Mike picked up a needle with some kind of anesthesia and held it in his hand. "We need to make Will sleep" Mike said. "What?" Joyce asked him. "He's a spy. If he knows where we are, so does the shadow monster" Mike explained. "He's lying" Will yelled, and Joyce held him down a little. "He killed those soldiers. He'll kill us, too" Mike yelled. "He's lying! He's lying! He's lying! He's lying! He's lying!" Will screamed and Joyce restrained him. I held onto Mike's arm gently, just full on scared again after hearing gunshots. "Those are gunshots" Bob said. "He's lying! He's lying!" Will yelled again. "Okay, Will, Will, listen. Listen. Do you know who I am?" Joyce asked Will, trying to stay as calm as she could.

 "Do you know who I am?" She asked again, this time sounding more anxious. "You're... You're... You're Mom" He replied, thinking a lot. Joyce looked at Bob. "Hold him down" She said to him. Will screamed saying for Bob to let him go as Joyce grabbed the needle from Mike. Mike and I covered our ears as Joyce inserted the needle into Will's skin and put the medicine inside him. He fell fast asleep right before Hopper, My dad and doctor Sam opened the door. Monsters growled and I heard some wood break. "We gotta go. We gotta go" Hopper said and he picked up Will. Mike grasped my hand and squeezed it a little. I held his hand tightly as we followed the adults out of the room. As we ran down the halls, screams came from all directions. While we were running a person got pounced on by one of the monsters and the other direction there were gunshots. There was a door to a room right beside us to we went inside, locking the door behind us. Hopper placed Will on the bed in the room and I looked at the moniters in the room, still holding Mike's hand tightly. There were so many little monsters, about the size of the average dog. They all looked like mini, dog-like demogorgons. Demodogs, you could call them. The lights flickered a little and then the room went pitch-black.

We stood in the dark room with a few flashlights on. Both my hands were in someone else's. One was being held tightly by Mike and other, my dad. "Look, this is us and this is the nearest exit. But even if we somehow make it there, there's no way out" The doctor who I found out was named Dr. Owens drew circles on a map we had found in the room. "What do you mean?" My dad asked him. "The locks are fail secure" Dr. Owens told my dad. "Fail secure?" Joyce asked. "If there's a power outage, the building goes on full lockdown" Dr. Owens explained. "Can it be unlocked remotely?" Bob asked. "With a computer, sure. But somebody's gotta reset the breakers" Dr. Owens told Bob. "Where are the breakers?" Hopper asked. "Breakers are in the basement, three floors down" Dr. Owens showed Hopper on the map and Hopper and my dad started to walk towards the door. "Hey" where are you going?" Bob asked them. "To reset the breakers" Hopper said. "Okay, then what?" Bob asked. "Then we get the hell out of here" My dad said. "No, then the power comes back on. If you wanna unlock the doors, you have to completely reboot the computer system, and then override the security codes with a manual input" Bob explained. "Fine, how do we do that?" Hopper asked, seeming annoyed. "You can't. Not unless you know BASIC" Bob said. "I don't know what that means" My dad spoke" trying to stay as calm as he could. "Its a computer programming language" I told him. "Teach it to me" Hopper said to Bob. "Shall I teach you French while I'm at it, Jim? How about a little German? How about you doc? You speak BASIC?" Bob turned around to face Dr. Owens. "No" Dr. Owens sighed. "Okay, I got this. I got this" Bob said. "No" Joyce said softly. "Its okay" Bob said hugging Joyce tightly. "It's going to be okay. Remember, Bob Newby, superhero" Bob told her pulling out of the hug and he left the room with Hopper and my dad.

Word count: 793