Bruises (III)

Arthur woke up to an empty bed, wrapped up in fluffy blankets, and surrounded by cloud-like pillows.

It was still dark in the room and Angel was no where to be found.

His oncoming wave of anxiety was crushed by the heavenly aroma of bacon, eggs, and some third tasty item; earning a ravenous growl from his stomach.

Breakfast was uncommon.

Food as a whole was uncommon.

He had always made sure that his mother had enough to eat, and often skipped meals so that they could stay in their apartment.

The scent of food made him feel guilty that his mother couldn't have things like this.

He would never be able to afford these foods and keep the lights on with the scraps of change his boss called minimum wage.

"Good morning."

He blinked before looking at the beauty before him as she turned on a lamp.

Angel had let her hair down and was wearing a large t-shirt.

His eyes skimmed over her afro before refocusing on the tray in her hands.

It looked like it came straight out of a movie.

Pancakes.

Eggs.

Bacon.

Strawberries.

He couldn't recall the last time he'd had a home cooked meal.

Did his mom ever cook?

"Is this reality?"

"Yeah."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"What time is it?" he stretched his muscles with an exhausted yawn, wincing from his bruises.

"5 AM."

"Great." He sighed.

"Um. Since you're probably gonna go home once you're done eating..." She paused for a second, to hand him the tray of food. "I ironed out your clothes. They're on the kitchen sink, blood and sweat free." She looked down at her feet. "I also packed some extra food up for you and your mom."

"..."

"Hopefully it helps while you're working."

"I-" he hesitated. "I actually...lost my job..."

"What?"

"A gun fell out of my pocket and I was in a children's hospital...."

"Why'd you have a gun in a children's hospital?"

"I was scared I'd get jumped again."

"Oh." Her gaze softened. "Well yesterday must have been shit on ice."

He grinned at her phrase before looking down at the food. "..."

"Well...hopefully it'll help while you search for a new job."

Arthur nodded and shoved a forkful of food in his mouth before moaning out his enjoyment. "Mmmm. Good."

Angel snorted before leaving the room and returning with a mug of coffee and a sandwich.

They ate in silence before Arthur spoke up hesitantly. "I want to do stand up comedy."

"Yeah?"

He nodded earnestly. "That's my dream."