6. Leaving home

"Hey, Dad..." I said, walking into the kitchen. My dad turned around from the sink and looked at me.

"What's up, honey?" He asked. I took a deep breath and slowly spoke, choosing my words as carefully as possible.

"Can Eli and I take the bus to the mall? Y'know, since...I don't have my license." I asked. My dad thought for a moment, then nodded.

"I don't see why not. As long as you two stay safe." He said, shrugging. I smiled.

"Thanks," I said, giving him a hug. "I'll text you when we get there." I then ran into my room, grabbing my jacket and Eeveelution bag. As I walked out of my room and down the stairs leading to the front door, I looked behind me to see Eli's smiling face. I smiled back, opening the door, walking out onto the front stoop, and beginning our long walk to the bus stop.

(Timeskip)

Eli and I sat next to each other, our shoulders touching. We didn't want to be near any of the other people on the bus, especially because we're two teenagers sitting without a parent.

"Falner, I'm still a little...apprehensive about this whole thing," Eli said. "It just doesn't seem right." I shook my head.

"I know Dallas would never lie to me, no matter how popular he is," I replied. The bus slowed to a stop in front of the Menlo Park Mall, and we stood up, taking each others hands as we walked out of the bus. "Here we are..." I murmured, taking my phone out of my bag and texting my dad that we were safe. We started walking along into the main mall complex and looking around for any and all Payless stores. There had to be one somewhere...