30. We're in the endgame now

[Christine's POV]

I let out a soft sigh. Opening night is never easy, especially when your opening night is your only performance.

"This is it, everyone," I said softly, half to myself and half to anyone who wanted to listen. Which is to say...I was practically talking to myself. Dallas was in the hospital, Falner was nowhere to be seen, Jade was on crutches...I couldn't help but let out a soft, breathy cry, burying my face into my hands. "Jesus Christ, it's going to take a miracle to get through this," I whispered. I then took a deep breath, put on a happier face, and walked onstage. The auditorium was packed with chattering teens and adults alike, and I could clearly discern my family sitting in the first row.

"Welcome, everybody! Thank you so much for coming to our production of "A Midsummer Nightmare About Zombies". It's been a rough week for all of us at AHS. That's why this play is so important – to bring this school together! To show you something special! I know that if Dallas were here, instead of the intensive care unit at Griffin Hospital, he'd say: "Go out and show everyone the relevant power of live theatre!" I said excitedly, receiving almost uproarious applause from the audience.

"Costumes!" I heard Mr. Baruchel hiss, only for him to mask it with a cough. Flushing red, I smiled slightly and shrugged in perceived embarrassment.

"Oh, and thanks to Hobby Lobby for the costumes," I said, skipping offstage to much applause. "Places, everyone! Break legs!" I cheered, being met with an icy glare from Jade, who was shifting uncomfortably on his crutches.

"Not cool." He muttered, making me turn even redder as he shuffled off. I heard the stage door open and looked to see who had the audacity to come in late, only to feel my heart skip about three beats. Falner ran in, her blonde hair swinging behind her as she skidded to a stop in front of me. She had...circuits on her face.

"Christine!" She panted, trying to catch her breath.

"Falner! Where have you been? It's so bad, Mr. Baruchel made himself your understudy." I said, groaning. She looked confused.

"Isn't he understudying Dallas?" She asked. I gave her a long, pained look.

"He's both," I said solemnly. She visibly shivered.

"Oh, God," She groaned, then placed one of her hands on my shoulder. The other was tucked into her pocket. "Look, I've been thinking about what you said at the party-!" She started to speak, but I cut her off.

"I can't do this now," I said simply.

"But I finally understand! You can't go out with anyone because you don't know who you are yet. Right?" She said quickly. I nodded slowly, biting my lip.

"Yeah, but-!" I was cut off by her speaking, a tinge of excitement in her voice.

"Well, I get that! And that's awesome, actually, because I felt that way too! I mean, I didn't realize that's what I felt, I thought it was just about being cool. But it was more than that. It was about being confident, and understanding who I am... And I couldn't have figured that on my own!" I probably looked as confused as I felt inside.

"So, you're saying... I helped you do that?" I asked, internally cursing at the hope in my tone. I shouldn't be hoping for this. This isn't right. I just got out of a relationship, Falner's leagues above me...why should I try and win her love? She shook her head.

"Not you," She said softly, taking her other hand out of her pocket and opening it, revealing a white puffball in the center of her palm. "This." I leaned in to see exactly what she was showing me and, upon closer inspection, I noticed a small, grey pill nestled within the fuzz. I looked up at Falner with the same bewildered expression. When she spoke, her voice was different. Less natural, more autotuned.