Chapter Eight

One thing that I did not think I will ever get used to is the fact we are traveling in a horse-pulled buggy. Which means going anywhere would take forever.

It had been hours since we turned around to head to the pack nearest to the plane crash. I did not realize how far I had traveled since I left the plane and was captured, and then my trip after with Jonah.

I was sure, if I was not with them, they would be a lot faster. I mean, wolves ran faster than our current speed. But, as much as I agreed with that statement, I refused to be left behind.

I also needed to be there for everyone that was on the plane. I could barely wrap my own head around everything around me, and I had seen too much to think it was all a lie. But everyone who had stayed behind would not have seen anything to make them believe what had happened to us. Maybe that was wishful thinking.

Anyway, this wait was killing me. How could anyone get anything done around here? Since there were no phones, and it made no sense for a wolf to run back and forth between the place where we were headed, we did not know what we were walking into. Could they not call each other?

I looked over at Jonah, "Are there no cell phones anymore? This wait is driving me insane!"

My question must have come unexpectedly because Jonah's head snapped towards me fast, and he briefly looked startled. But that look quickly turned into confusion as he said one thing, "Cell phones?"

He looked and sounded so clueless that I knew he had no clue what I was talking about.

"You don't know what cell phones are? Phones? You know, things where you dial a number and hold it up to your face and talk to someone who is in a different place than you are? How do you guys communicate over long distances?!"

Some of his confusion seemed to have cleared up by now and he chuckled lightly, "Oh you mean our SATs. Yea, we have those still. We only have a couple back on our territory though. There is no point carrying one with us when we travel since we normally travel in our wolf forms. Can't carry it."

"SATs?"

He laughed now, "You know... our small devices that are connected to the things in the sky. Mainly humans use them now. But, since no one alive anymore really knows how to make them, the numbers have started to decrease. They will stop working and no one can fix it. So, now, many heads of the bigger civilizations or people of importance are the only ones who have them."

My eyes widened as I processed everything he just told me and then I said, "Oh! You mean, like you still have satellite phones? Okay. Well, I guess I understand why you wouldn't have it with you. It's just, I hate how long it takes to get everywhere without even being able to call anyone. I mean, we don't even know if they found the plane yet!"

Jonah must have found my reaction hilarious because he started laughing again, which I did not appreciate. Frowning, I pulled away from him and crossed my arms in irritation.

Shaking his head, he grabbed me and brought me back to him while saying, "I'm sorry, mine. I wasn't laughing at you. You were just adorable. And you must know, we don't normally take this long to travel. When we travel, we are also usually running. So, travel is not a very long thing."

I signed and begrudgingly nodded. I understood what he was saying. But I was not going to admit that to him.

Instead, I said, "It's okay. I am just so anxious. I'm not able to know if everyone is okay. If the others that left came back. If some people didn't make it. If the- the people you sent got there. If they are freaking out or grateful. I don't know anything!"

After my mini-rant, I breathed a little heavy and had a hand pulling my hair in frustration. Which Jonah quickly remedied by gently taking my hand, untangling it from my hair, and then placing his other hand under my chin to force my eyes to his.