Chapter Thirteen

"Clarisse! Oh my gosh, you scared me," I gave a nervous laugh, "I didn't hear you come in. What's wrong?"

I must not have heard her come in while I was lost in my thoughts. But now that I'm seeing her, I was getting a vibe that I didn't quite know how to read.

Normally Clarisse was so easygoing that I was concerned about whatever had rankled her enough for me to be able to tell she was irritated.

A thought crossed my mind real fast and my eyes widened as I took a couple of steps towards her. "Are you okay? You haven't had any issues with anyone since we last talked, have you?"

Clarisse shook her head, "No... I just don't understand how you're already sitting back and relaxing when we are in the freaking future being held captive by werewolves!"

Towards the end, her voice had raised and she was throwing her hands around.

I was so shocked at her outburst, but more so at what she was actually saying, that I took a step back.

I felt like I had to pick my jaw off the floor before I could respond, "What are you talking about, Clarisse? Where is this coming from? You haven't had any issues with this before that you've mentioned. And it's not like we can go back in time. Besides, you know that's not true. We aren't being held captive. They saved us!"

Clarisse was already shaking her head, "How can you say that? You of all people?! You should know! Jonah bought you from a dang human trafficking ring and now you're kissing him and sleeping with him and- and basically jumping into a Disney love song number every time he leaves you and you think no one's around to see! And now here we are, just taking their word for everything as we wait to be married off to more of their kind! How do we even know for sure what they're telling us is true?!"

My eyes felt like they were about to pop out of my head and I felt very conscious of the fact many ears were most likely hearing us speak right now. But I also could not figure out where all this was coming from, from her.

I felt like that was very important for me to know where it was coming from to know how to proceed. Because if she was really believing this, after everything we had seen and heard, nothing I could say would make it better. But if she was just stressed out and breaking down, well I could try and be there for her until she calmed down. But I really didn't know how to respond, no matter what.

"Clarisse, you don't understand what you're saying. You know that isn't true. And quite frankly, you're one of the closest people I have to a friend here, and I will love to chat with you about anything- but when it comes down to it, what happens between Jonah and I is none of your business!"

Her mouth dropped as she stared at me and I thought maybe something I had said had gotten through to her until she narrowed her eyes again.

I could practically see the fire in her eyes and was not in the mood for one of the epic teenage rebel-type rants I was sure she was about to do.

Gosh, I am so old now.

So, I decided to keep talking before she could.

"As for all of the other stuff, you know they aren't lying to us. As you said, I know more than anyone. I've seen more of what's to see of this new world we are in than anyone- including you. It's not a lie. And I can agree, it's not the best of circumstances. When I found out, I was not happy. About any of it! But I also understand. This new world we are in is one very different from what we came from. And it sucks! It's horrible and unfair, but it's what we have now!"

I had begun to pace back and forth now while staring at her.

"It's our world now, Clarisse. There is no going back. Any hoping and wishing is only going to make you miserable. So don't! We aren't being forced into anything here. The least we can do for all that these people have done for us is to stay in one place while they try and see if something comes out of something that was decided before we were even born. You may not even have a mate! But even if you do, you have a choice! If you leave, I can promise you it is very different! You think this is being held captive?! You were right earlier. I know what being held captive is. It's definitely not this!"