Five

"If chaos is a work of art, then my heart is a masterpiece." - D. Antoinette Foy

     The chilly weather of October brought the more than occasional thunderstorm with it into the season of autumn. That's how the first Sunday of the month looked; rain beat against all the windows of the castle with dark clouds dampening the tone of the day. It was the kind of day that could make someone want to stay in bed with a book and a nice mug of hot chocolate or maybe just nap the day away.

      Marlene sat curled in one of the chairs in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room. She had always tried to reserve her Sundays as her lazy days, but she wasn't sure how long she could keep that up this year. The endless amounts of homework were already beginning to pile up, and that wasn't even including all of the work she needed to start putting in for her N.E.W.T.s, no matter they were still a year away. The professors constantly harped on them about how important that damned test was. 

      Marlene tried to put these thoughts at the back of her mind and lose herself within her book. The common room was quiet that morning, and she found herself thankful for the solitude. It was a peaceful and fulfilling day. That was, until the book was easily taken from her grasp and thrown aside.

      She huffed, looking up, expecting to see Sirius or James with a shit-eating grin, but she was surprised to see Charlie standing above her. Her hair was pulled back to reveal something serious settled into the features of her face and a fire sparkling within the depths of her kaleidoscopic eyes.

     "Didn't anyone ever tell you it's rude to snatch?" Marlene asked dryly, sitting up.

     Charlie arched an eyebrow dangerously. "You really want to discuss rude?"

     Marlene physically recoiled as if Charlie had harmed her. "Excuse me?"

     Charlie frowned. "We need to have a come to Merlin meeting, Marlene." Her hands made their ways to her hips, and Marlene shifted uncomfortably at the fiery look in the girl's eyes. She ground her teeth, not liking that she was having to look up to Charlie in her current position.

     "Why?"

     Charlie pursed her lips. "You want to do this here or somewhere more private?"

     Marlene's eyes shifted to the few people in the common room, who had now turned their attention to what seemed to be a rather hostile exchange between the two sixth year Gryffindors. She lifted her chin in obstinance and rose silently from her seat, strolling from the room, leaving Charlie to follow after her.

     Marlene entered the first classroom she came to, knowing the room would stay abandoned on this rainy Sunday. She walked to the front and leaned against the professor's desk, refusing to take a seat, not wanting to be in an inferior position again. Charlie followed suit and came to stand in front of her, leaving a wide gap between them.

     The emptiness between them felt infinite, and Charlie had never felt more at odds with this girl than she did in this moment. She tried not to dwell on the sadness it made her feel. She didn't understand why they couldn't be friends after the effort Charlie had put in to being a part of this group.

     "What is this about?" Marlene asked, several thoughts bouncing around in her skull.

     Charlie didn't try to suppress her eye roll. "Do you really have to ask?"

     Marlene did not waiver. "Yes."

     The word sent fire in Charlie's veins. She could deal with a lot of things, but someone who blatantly lied and did not own up to their actions was not one of them. "Cut the shit, Marlene."