Twenty-Five

"Kill painful memories by creating better ones." - r.h. Sin

     Marlene McKinnon was in a bad mood. A very, very bad mood; the type of bad mood that could put the fear of god into anyone so unlucky to witness it. It was obvious to anyone that witnessed her walking down the corridors– her strides were long and quick, her eyes were narrowed into slits, and her jaw was clenched so tight, it looked as if her teeth may break. 

     A small, first year Hufflepuff practically dove out of her way as she strutted passed them, curly, blonde hair streaming behind her; Marlene didn't look twice. She slammed her books down as she arrived at the Gryffindor table arriving in the great hall with a wake of anger. 

     Charlie stared, noting the same details as the people in the corridors. "Hey, Sunshine," she greeted sarcastically. 

     Marlene all but growled at her. 

     "What is up with you?" James demanded over his plate of breakfast. "Isn't it too early for you to be this pissed off?" 

     "Severus Snape is what is up with me."

     Lily physically recoiled as if Marlene had slapped her. James and Remus exchanged a concerned glance, and Charlie instinctively slid closer to the redhead. 

     "What happened?" Sirius demanded leaning closer to his girlfriend, glancing at the Slytherin in suspect as he entered the great hall with his gang of buddies.

      "He was picking on some younger kids," she said with a disgusted roll of her eyes. "It was him and some other seventh year Slytherins picking on, like, third years."

     "And," Sirius prodded, eyes narrowing into slits. 

     "Well, I asked them to back off."

     Sirius ground his teeth. "And," he spit. 

     Marlene pursed her lips. "Some hexes may have been exchanged."

     "Yes," Charlie smiled approvingly with a mouthful of cereal. 

     "Marlene," Sirius chided through his teeth.

     "What?" She demanded, turning her head to fully look him in the eyes, daring him to question her.

     Sirius Black's eyes widened in disbelief. "You could have been hurt!" He spluttered, mind blown that she didn't see the problem with this situation. 

     Marlene rolled her eyes. "No, I couldn't have. I'm smarter than all three of those idiots combined. I mean its Snape, Mulciber, and Avery we're talking about here."

     Sirius turned wide-eyed to his friends, desperate for some form of backup. Remus held his hands up in a type of surrender. "Marlene McKinnon can take care of herself, mate," the boy said shaking his head. 

     Sirius made a sound in the back of his throat that sounded eerily similar to growling. "I thought growling was for Moony," Peter pondered. Remus turned his head slowly to give the boy a glare. 

      "Sirius," Charlie interjected before Remus could commit a murder. "Marlene is fine."

      "But-"

      "No buts," Charlie cut him off. "She isn't some damsel in distress."

      James turned to look at the blonde. "Why are you so mad?"

      Marlene huffed, grabbing for a piece of toast with more force than necessary. "He called my family blood traitors."

     James' nostrils flared as he gritted his teeth. He absolutely hated that term; it was such an incompetent thing to say. How could one betray their blood? It just wasn't logical.