Twenty-Four

"People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses." - Brené Brown, Rising Strong     

     "Alright," Charlie's bag slammed onto the Gryffindor table as everyone ate their dinner. "Potter, Evans, let's go. Now."

     "What?" James responded with a mouthful of ham, looking up from his notepad where he seemed to be sketching a set of eyes. Lily just stared at her friend from her seat furthest from James, looking over her cup of tea.

     Charlie made a sharp, whistling noise. "Up. I need to talk to both of you. We can do it here, or we can do it in the corridor."

     "Do it here," Sirius said with an interested smirk and a gleam in his eyes. "I want to witness whatever shit is about to hit the fan." Marlene elbowed him.

     "What's this about?" Lily asked, ignoring Sirius' comment.

     Charlie arched an eyebrow. "You really want me to say that out loud? I gave you a dead line, Lils. Now, it's time to have a come to Merlin meeting."

     The four of the five stared at the two girls wondering what dead line Charlie could possibly be talking about; Remus Lupin on the other hand had wheels turning in his head, trying to fill in the gaps of the information Lily had given him weeks ago. Lily swallowed a giant gulp of tea and got to her feet.

     "Fine," Lily whispered harshly. "You win." She turned to exit the great hall.

     James stared after her. "Come on, Potter," Charlie said motioning with her hand. 

     James reluctantly got to his feet and followed his ex-girlfriend out of the crowded room, feeling four sets of eyes on his back.

     Lily was waiting for the two with her arms crossed just outside the entry way; she refused to meet James' stare. Charlie rolled her eyes and tugged on Lily's sleeve.

     "Come on," Charlie said pulling both of them behind her.

     The brunette pulled the two into an empty classroom, shutting the door behind her. "What the hell are we doing, Charlie?" James demanded.

     "Lily," Charlie said staring at her red-headed best friend.

     Lily was very interested in her shoes at the moment.

     "What the fuck is going on?" James demanded in frustration, becoming more confused by the moment. 

     Neither girl said anything. 

     "Whatever," he muttered, making his way towards the door.

     "I didn't break up with you for this shit!" Charlie yelled. Something in her chest seemed to ache with the words, but she couldn't dwell on that.

     James froze where he stood, back turned to the girls. "What does that mean?" James demanded, turning towards her.

     "You know what it means," she whispered. James clenched his jaw. 

     The two seemed to be in some type of a stare down, glaring into each other's souls. They were so intent at looking disgusted with the other, they had no idea that Lily was silently falling into a deep abyss. Her mind was reeling, turning in on itself, repeating the words she had heard over and over again. She wasn't even sure they made sense anymore. 

     James had begun to say something to Charlie, but it fell on deaf ears for Lily. "What did you just say?" Lily whispered. 

     James turned to face her for the first time. He sighed. "I was just telling Charlie she shouldn't be sticking her nose in places tha-"