Thirteen

"Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out." - Gordon B. Hinkley

     Charlotte Riggs entered the great hall on a rainy, Thursday morning. She held herself in an odd way, fearful of the scrutiny that would be waiting for her at the Gryffindor table. She stepped carefully towards the breakfast feast, yanking her fingers through her chocolate locks trying in vein to tame her messy hair. 

     She arrived to their normal spot to find only Marlene. Charlie cocked her head to the side at the bizarre scene that was before her. Marlene sat with her breakfast and coffee pushed away from her; a spare piece of parchment was the only thing in front of her. Her hand was gripped around a quill, writing slowly and deliberately. But, the oddest part about it all, was that Marlene's eyes were tightly shut, she couldn't even see what she was writing. 

     Charlie quietly lowered herself into her seat, careful not to disturb her, and watched her friend. She did her best to try to make out what the girl was writing, but her arm was blocking most of the scribblings. Charlie sighed, before grabbing a spare mug and fixing her coffee to her liking as quietly as she could manage. The brunette stared in wonder at her friend, her hand still scrawling ink over the page. Charlie sipped her coffee quietly, and as the time passed, her eyebrows rose higher and higher in her question. 

     After a moment passed and Marlene finally stopped her writing, she opened her eyes. "Ah!" Marlene jumped at the sight of her friend sitting directly across from her. 

     Charlie grinned. "Morning."

     Marlene took a deep breath, placing her hand over her chest. "You scared the shit out of me!" She accused. "How long have you been here?"

     Charlie shrugged. "Dunno. But, I've had enough time to walk in, sit, make my coffee, and get half way through a cup." 

     Marlene rolled her eyes. 

     "What are you doing anyways?" Charlie asked, nodding at the parchment in front of her. 

     The blonde pursed her lips into a doubtful pout. "Don't laugh."

     "I would never." The sarcasm was not lost on Marlene, who narrowed her eyes in return.

     "So," she started. "You know how my family has some divination roots?"

      Charlie sipped her coffee. "Yes, that is absolutely something that I know. Continue." 

     Marlene gave her a look. "Do you know how to answer a question in a non-sarcastic way?"

     Charlie pretended to think this over. "Yes, but I choose not to."

     "You're a nightmare human."

      "Aw, babe, I'm blushing," she smirked before taking a bite of a chocolate chip muffin. 

     Marlene snorted. "Anyway," she continued. "Why did you think I stuck with divination this long?"

     "It's fun, Professor Mortianna is cool, and it's not hard?"

     The blonde gave her a look. "Anyways, it's an old trick my grandmother told me about when I was younger, and I was here by myself and bored. So, I tried it." 

     Charlie's eyebrows came together as she took another bite of muffin. "What do you do?"

    Marlene scrunched her nose. "Maybe, don't talk with your mouth full? But, in one hand you hold some crushed mint, a bezoar, and jobberknoll feather, close your eyes, and let your other hand write." She emptied the contents of her left hand to show Charlie all of the used ingredients, now damp and crumpled from being clenched in her fist for so long.