Nine

"One must from time to time, attempt things that are beyond one's capacity." - Pierre-Auguste Renoir

     "How in the hell is it almost Christmas?" Sirius asked, staring at the giant Christmas trees decorating the great hall over his plate of eggs, careful not to spill anything on his quidditch robes.

     "Well, you see, Padfoot," Remus said in between bites of oatmeal. "It's December, and in December, Christmas occurs."

     "Bite me, Moony."

     "I don't think you want me to do that, mate."

     Lily rolled her eyes at the boys' exchange. She sipped her tea and looked around the great hall. The Christmas decorations were always her favorite. Yeah, the Halloween ones were great too, but the Christmas trees and snow made it feel magical. Her stomach soon did a twist though as the happy couple entered the dining hall, hand in hand in their matching quidditch robes.

     James walked ahead of Charlie, pulling her slightly behind him, as they made their way through people to get to their friends at the table. They both wore wide smiles on their faces, happy in their time together. They had been together for a little over a month, after that successful first date in Hogsmeade.

     "Nice hair," Marlene nodded at Charlie with a smirk, peering over her cup of morning coffee, also sporting red and gold robes.

     Charlie tried to smooth her tangles and tinged slightly pink in the cheeks. "I was doing stuff," she muttered.

     Sirius snorted. "Is stuff James' new nickname?"

     "Fuck off, Black," Charlie snipped with a role of her eyes, reaching for a piece of toast.

     "Oi," Sirius said, eyeing James. "You shouldn't be expending energy like that before a match."

     James opened his mouth to respond, but he closed it quickly after Charlie gave him a hearty elbow to the side.

     Lily felt as if her insides were turning to mush; her appetite seemed to vanish. She pushed her plate forward and ignored the stinging tears in her eyes. 

     "So," she cleared her throat wanting to change the subject. "What are everyone's plans for Christmas?"

     James looked up and saw the pale look on her face and the redness rimming her eyes. "Evans," he said with a concerned tone. "You alright?"

     She nodded. "Probably just getting a cold or something."

     Marlene stared at her. Lily had been acting strange for awhile now, but anytime Marlene brought it up, it was dismissed. She was dying to know what was tormenting her best friend, but she also knew Lily couldn't be goaded into revealing anything until she was ready.

     "I'm going home," Marlene said, not taking her eyes from her friend. "I think we all are, but we should get together for the New Year."

     "I'd like that," Charlie nodded. "I can only handle my dad's place for so long."

     "Does your step-mom know about, well, you know?" Remus asked with a quirk of his eyebrow.

     "No," she responded flatly. "It's a pain to hide, but my dad asked. I don't think our relationship could handle a blow out like that if I told her and my little sister that I was a witch."

     "We can meet up at my place," James said taking a bite of a roll and squeezing Charlie's hand. "I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind."

     "You sure it's good if I come over?" Sirius asked looked at James with wide solemn eyes.