Eight

"Chemistry between people is the strangest science of all." - Bridgett Devoue

     The night of the victory against Ravenclaw in their first Quidditch match of the year, saw the group of seven in the boy's dormitory. They sat cross-legged in a circle, gorging themselves on candy and sipping from their respective glasses of fire whiskey as the night sky shone in through the glass windows.

     "So," Sirius said after scrunching up his face after a particularly nasty Berri Bott's Bean. "We never did discuss what Charlie here did, between that god awful Potions exam and the match today."

     Charlie tugged her licorice wand in half, before nibbling on one of the ends. "What about it?"

     "What do you mean what about it?" Sirius demanded, sipping from his glass, still trying to wash the flavor of earwax out of his mouth.

     "It was badass," Lily smirked, taking a bite from a cauldron cake. "What else is there to say?"

     "Since when do you approve of stuff like that?" Sirius demanded, arching an eyebrow.

     Lily rolled her eyes with a huff. "There's a difference between needlessly fucking with people and defending people you care about."

     Sirius muttered something incoherent under his breath with a roll of his eyes. All that was heard was 'Snape' and 'mudblood'.

     "What?" Lily demanded, eyes narrowing to cat-like, green slits.

     "Nothing," Sirius responded with an innocent smile.

     "You could have gotten in so much more trouble, Charlie," Remus commented, sipping at his drink trying to change the subject because he did hear what Sirius said, and nobody needed a reminder of what happened after their O.W.L.s last year. "You attacked students right in front of the teachers."

     Charlie shrugged. "Can we drop this? I didn't get in that much trouble. All is well."

     "Just be thankful McGonagall didn't keep you from playing in the game today," Marlene said, downing the rest of her drink. "Otherwise, I'd have no choice but to smother you in your sleep."

     "How endearing, McKinnon," Charlie batted her eyelashes. "You don't think Gryffindor could win without me."

     Marlene cut her eyes at the girl. "I did not say that."

     "Eh," Charlie replied, taking another bite from her licorice wands. "It was implied."

     Marlene rolled her eyes but made no further efforts to contradict her fellow teammate. She pulled out a package of cigarettes, the red of the packaging matching her red nails and Gryffindor sweater. She lit one and passed the rest to Lily.

     "So," Petter inquired. "What did Dumbledore have to say?"

     "Wow," Charlie said throwing back the rest of her drink. "This is so not changing the subject."

     "Come on, Riggs," Lily prodded, nudging the girl's leg with her foot.

     Charlie let out a loud sigh rolling her head back to look at the ceiling. "I don't know," she said. "Something about being better than that but respecting my loyalty and want to stand up for others. He said I'd make a hell of an auror and complemented my spell work, but he told me to not let it happen again."

     Sirius blinked. "You got in trouble, but he fucking complemented you? I never get that treatment."

     Marlene laughed. "Maybe, Dumbledore likes her better."