Seventeen

"We have calcium in our bones, iron in our veins, carbon in our souls, and nitrogen in our brains; 93 percent stardust, with souls made of flames, we are all just stars with people names." - Nikita Gill

     Marlene McKinnon smiled at her reflection, enjoying the way the gold eyeshadow made her blue eyes sparkle. Lily was squatting in front of her in just her bra and undies, working the rest of Marlene's makeup into place. Charlie stood behind the blonde, working her locks into a complicated twisted updo. 

     "You did lock the door, correct?" Marlene asked with an arched eyebrow. "I mean, we're all practically naked, especially you, Charlie." 

     Marlene, like Lily, was in her under garments, but Charlie had completely abandoned her bra and walked around in nothing but her underwear. 

     Charlie snorted. "I am unashamed of my body and don't act like you haven't been checking out my boobs, McKinnon. But, yes, I locked the door with some spells. The bathroom is all ours."

     Lily made a face. Charlie noticed and said in reassurance, "There are other bathrooms, Lily. It's not like we're hogging the only bathroom in the dormitory. Besides, there's only so many of us getting ready to go."

     Lily rolled her eyes with a shrug. "Sure, sure."

     Charlie snapped the last of a golden, twisted crown into Marlene's hair. Marlene's hair had taken the longest, as it had to be straightened before they could do anything with it. She admired her handy work of Marlene's hair and turned to smile, looking at Lily's as well– red waves, arranged into a messy updo, leaving a few strands to frame her face. 

     "Done," Charlie announced after she tapped a finishing spell onto the girl's golden locks. 

     Lily nodded. "Same." 

    Marlene stood, twisting herself to admire her friends' handiwork. "Thanks, you guys," she grinned. "Ready to put on our dresses?"

    Lily nodded hurriedly, excitedly running to grab her dress that was hanging on the far wall. Charlie and Marlene followed suit, and they all slid into their respective dresses, taking turns clipping and zipping the backs of their dresses. 

    Marlene was in white dress that hugged her waist, that flared slightly at her hips falling to her a feet with a small slit in the front. With the gold bangles on her wrist, just the right amount of cleavage, and her golden locks in an updo, she looked like some kind of Greek goddess. Lily's dress was a strapless black gown, that contrasted vividly with her pale skin and fiery hair; it hugged her waist and hips and dipped way down her back. Charlie's dress was a champagne color with hints of gold along the material. It was snug against her chest and torso and fell loose at her legs, but the giant slit in the front along with the open back left little to the imagination. 

    Charlie turned to see her brunette waves fall into the open back of her dress. Marlene had suggested pulling the top layers back to give her a more sleek look, and it had worked. 

     "We're hot," Charlie commented with a smile, turning to look at her friends. 

     "Damn, straight," Marlene winked. 

     "Ready?" Lily asked with a dazzling smile. She hadn't said anything, but she was so very excited. She had grown up in a modest, strictly middle class family. There was nothing wrong with that of course, but she had never had an excuse to dress up, to be so posh. 

     Charlie returned her smile. "Let's go."

     The three friends exited the bathroom and made their way down to the common room. Various upper level Gryffindors were crowded in the room, excitedly chattering about the night ahead of them. A burst of excitement exploded in the pit of Charlie's stomach, and she squeezed the hands of each of her friends.