Thirty

"Oh, but that's the irony, broken people are not fragile." - Clinton Sammy Jr.

     It was a drizzly morning. The grey clouds hung low in the sky, and the air felt heavy and wet with the lingering rain. The grass was muddy, but it was still cold enough outside that it retained its crunch. In other words, it was a miserable day; the type of day that made you want to stay in bed all day, cuddled into a warm blanket burrito and nap the hours away. But, it was a Tuesday, and Tuesdays meant classes. 

      And, Lily Evans was staring blankly at her mug full of coffee. She had added her normal amount of milk and sugar to the cup of caffeine, but she had yet to stir it. Charlie noticed and stared at her for a moment, wondering if she was just having a slow morning, but when a couple of minutes passed, Charlie reached out and touched her hand gently. 

     "You okay?" The brunette asked, eyebrows coming together in concern. 

      Lily turned her green eyes to look at her friend, tears threatening to brew over. "I'm going to have to do it myself," she answered breathlessly.

      "Stir your coffee?"

      Lily shook her head, afraid that her voice would betray her. 

      Charlie squeezed her hand, understanding that grief could make you emotional over the strangest of occurrences. "Then, what?"

      "It was something my mum did every morning," she answered, voice sounding hollow. "Just a little saying. It was a quirky little habit she had, but I liked it. It's just something that was always so...mum." 

      Charlie smiled sadly. "What was the saying?"

      "She would stir her coffee every morning and say, 'Give me the strength to face my day. No matter what the universe throws my way. No matter what the day is to become, give me the best possible outcome.'"

      "I like that."

     Lily swallowed thickly, casting her eyes towards the enchanted ceiling. "I know it't dumb, but she said it every morning, and I always liked to think I was included in that. But–" She stopped suddenly, snapping her teeth together, fighting tears. 

     Charlie fought tears of her own. "Now, you have to say it for yourself." 

     Lily nodded wordlessly, a tear making its way down her cheek; Charlie reached out and brushed it from her face. James gritted his teeth, having overheard the girls' conversation. It broke his heart to hear the pain in Lily's voice, and he wanted nothing more than to make it better. 

      James cleared his throat. "I can do it for you, Lils." 

      Lily lifted her eyes to meet her boyfriend's intense hazel gaze. She felt a new surging of emotion, as she pushed her coffee mug towards him with a small smile. He gave her a soft smile as he placed a spoon in her cup. 

     "Give me the strength to face my day. No matter what the universe throws my way. No matter what the day is to become, give me the best possible outcome."

    Lily's throat grew thick, and Charlie squeezed her hand again. James placed her mug back in front of her. "Thanks," she answered hoarsely. 

    Everyone stayed silent for a moment after that. There were so many things each of them wanted to say. To do. To help. 

    Lily gave them a sly smile as she set her mug back down after her first sip, seeing the desperation and fear in their eyes. "I'm not going to break, you know."