01 | i m b e c i l e

{B} asically, we got stuck with an imbecile for a teacher. Dumbledore really needs to learn how to filter.

I was interested at first, I mean the guy's known to be wicked good at DADA, right? Imagine the things he was going to teach us.

And then he came, and then he taught—or attempted to, at least— and immediately it was obvious. He had no idea what he was doing.

On a separate note, a DADA teacher was not the only thing that changed. Draco had gotten taller over the summer. I was an inch taller than him before, but now he was two and a half inches taller than me.

It annoyed me a bit, I was so used to looking down on him. We had an inside joke going on, I would always say, "I'm taller."

When we met to get our supplies after summer ended, he smirked, "I'm taller."

"Oh, shut it." I rolled my eyes.

He was really cheerful today, being all nice. He offered to buy me drinks, held the door open, and waited patiently as I tried on new robes. Usually, he would be complaining and asking me to hurry up.

"What do you think?" I asked, stepping out of the dressing room and striking a dramatic pose.

"Good."

"How about this one?"

"Good."

"Draco, you're just saying everything's good. Give me some actual feedback here!" I whined.

"You look good in everything, Potter." he sighed, "Let's just get it all." He signaled the store employee, who was more than happy to scoop up the six robes laying around.

"Draco," I said warningly.

"What?" He asked innocently, pulling his wallet out, "Just think of it as a gift from Mother."

"Here," I pointed to a random robe on top of the pile, "I'm just going to get this one."

Draco frowned, "But you looked better in that one." He held up the robe I tried on second.

"Then I'll get that one."

"But, this one matches your skin tone the best." he said as he held out another one.

"Okay, lets get that one."

"But this one makes your figure look nice." He said, pointing.

"I just need one, Draco."

It looked like it physically pained him to choose between the robes. "Just take these three, Potter." He threw in a necklace from a nearby table as well.

He smiled as I perked up. "I saw you looking at it," he shrugged, "Honestly, you're so obvious sometimes, Potter."

"No robes for you?" I asked.

"I have enough." he smirked, as he handed the coins to the cashier. This much was true. Our little fashionista, he was.

"I'll pay you back," I said, struggling to get my coins out.

"Early Halloween present."

"Halloween doesn't have presents, Draco."

"It does now."

We came with Harry and his friends, but Draco always riled them up, so I figured we should shop separately.

We walked over to the bookshop, where we first saw The Idiot. I didn't know it at the time, so I fawned admiringly at the famous, brave hero, Gilderoy Lockhart. He was posing for pictures, holding up his books.

Draco steered me away, grumbling, "What's so great about that guy?"

"Um, everything? Did you read his books?" I exclaimed.

Next to him, I saw a familiar face. "Cedric!" I waved, rushing over to him. We had gotten closer over the summer, close enough to exchange letters.

"Lexi!" He looked up from the book he was reading. "How are you? How was Roses for Alchemy?"

"I loved it," I gushed, "Culver and Olivia!"

He shook his head, smiling, "Kane and Olivia."

Draco coughed, bringing us out of the conversation. "You didn't tell me you made a friend, Potter."

"Draco, this is Cedric Diggory." I introduced, "Cedric, this is Draco."

"Hello—" Cedric said.

"We have shopping to finish," Draco interrupted Cedric, pulling me away.

"Draco, don't be rude." I lectured, stopping him.

He rolled his eyes, "Hello, Kendric."

"Cedric."

"Whatever."

Cedric checked his watch, and looked up in apology, "I have to go now, but do you want to sit with me in the train?"

Before I could answer, Draco cut in. "She's sitting with me, Kendric."

"See you later?" I said helplessly as Draco dragged me away.

That's when Harry stepped into the shop. Accompanied by Hermione and Ron, he looked overjoyed.

Lockhart caught sight of him, and immediately brought him over, borderline forcing Harry to take pictures with him. 

Draco scowled at the scene.

I scowled as well, Harry looked so uncomfortable, it's just that the poor thing couldn't speak up. I grabbed Draco's arm, pulling him to where Harry was squinting, but abruptly stopped. There were so many cameras.

Click. Flash.

Chills went up my spine, and I felt a bit lightheaded. "You alright, Potter?" Draco's gentle voice snapped me out of the trance.

"Fine." I said in a shaky voice. Draco squished my face together with his hands, making me look like a fish. "Huh, you're right." He said, lowering his face to mine, "You are kind of cute."

I pushed his hands away, a blush forming, "Shut it, git."

Harry broke out of Lockhart's grasp, "Lexi!" he said looking relieved. "Malfoy." he said in greeting, not looking particularly pleased to see Draco.

"Potter." Draco nodded, they tried to stay civil in front of me.

I ruffled Harry's hair. "Is it fun?" I gushed.

Harry nodded, looking truly happy. Him being happy made me happy. "Is Lockhart bothering you?" I lowered my voice.

"No, it's fine." Harry shrugged, "He's just a bit annoying."

Draco draped his arm over my shoulders, "Let's go get a drink, shall we?" he said, pulling me away from Harry and to the front door.

"Now wait a minute, Malfoy." Harry warned, "I'm going to get a drink with Lexi."

"Go with Weasley." Draco scoffed, fixing his gaze on Ginny. "Got yourself a girlfriend?"

"Leave him alone, Malfoy." Ginny said coldly, making me smile with pride. The last time I saw her she looked so timid.

Draco looked as if he was going to go on. I swiftly elbowed him between the ribs, making him double up. "Hm, Draco, you don't look so good. Seems like you should just stop talking, no?"

"Speak for yourself, Malfoy." Harry said, his eyes landing on me, "Got a little crush?"

Draco dropped his arm from my shoulders, "Please, the day I start crushing on Little Potter is the day I die!" As he turned to leave, I could swear I saw a tint of pink on his cheeks.

"Let's go, Potter!" he exclaimed. Harry stopped me, looking at me with puppy eyes, "Lexi, you want to go with me, right?"

"I—" I stumbled, almost ready to laugh. It was then where Cedric dropped in, handing me a drink with a dazzling smile, "Here, Lexi. I got you something to drink."